Life > Experiences

And With This, The Fall Season Comes To An End: 10 Activities To Do With Your Friends.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As the days get shorter and the Christmas lights get brighter, St Andrews seems to be rushing into winter. However, we still have a few weeks of fall left, so let’s make the most of them! Here are 10 activities you can do with your friends to say goodbye to fall before saying hello to all things Christmas. 

1.Have a Fall Themed Tea Party

With this weather, nothing sounds better than a warm cup of your tea (or coffee) of choice and a sweet treat, so why not make a girl date out of it? 

You can keep it simple with some cakes from Tesco and casual attire, or go all out. Make the dress code posh English tea party, get some nice decorations up and invest in some gorgeous cakes from Fisher’s and Donaldson, my personal favorite is their carrot cake, but they have plenty of options for all tastebuds. 

And for the full effect, play the Her Campus St Andrews November playlist in the background! https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Gc1GiTI2yURplCpY7nakY?si=571804191f614bcd 

2.Have A Fall Themed Baking Session 

If you are one of those people who uses baking as a therapy dupe, use fall as an excuse to get your friends to do it with you! 

TikTok is bursting with sweet fall recipes, from Luke’s Pumpkin Spice Pancakes (a Gilmore Girls Classic!) with homemade cinnamon butter, to pumpkin shaped cinnamon rolls, both of which  are perfect for sharing and simple enough to bake in a cramped uni kitchen. 

So play your favorite Gilmore Girls episode or your comforting fall series of choice and enjoy a few hours of laughs and sweet baked goods with your girls! 

3.Have a Friendsgiving Dinner 

St Andrews is home to many American students, however this idea is not only for those born and raised in the US.The concept of dedicating an evening to appreciate what you are grateful for is something that everyone can benefit from.

Get your friends together, make your favourite comfort meals, and tell each other how grateful you are for having them in your life. All you need is a table, a house, music, and of course tissues, as you are bound to get emotional. 

4.Have a Self care Day 

Whether you are done with deadlines or still have a few left, you can always do with a self-care day, and like everything in life, these are most enjoyed when shared with your girls. 

Write down your favorite self-care activities, like getting your nails done, applying an insane amount of facemasks, eating ice-cream whilst watching your favourite fall comfort movie, etc. Then put these in a jar and take turns at picking one out to craft your perfect group self-care rest day! 

5.Go On A Hike Before It Gets dark 

Whilst the weather still allows for around one sunny day per week, take the chance to go for a morning walk up the Fife Coastal Path. 

We live in a coastal town (although it may not always seem like it), in the Scottish countryside, meaning that our views are quite breathtaking.

Take a breather from studying and enjoy the (very) fresh air, as you explore the non-academic side of St Andrews and, if your friends are not really into hiking, bribe them with a pastry and a pumpkin spice latte at the end of the hike! 

6.Have a Photoshoot 

Although social media can be quite toxic at times, there are many ways that we can use it to our advantage. For instance, it can inspire you to capture more memories with your friends and give you a little confidence boost. 

This can be done in the form of a cute little photoshoot. 

As mentioned, this town is absolutely gorgeous, and sometimes we take it for granted. So why not get into your favorite outfit, go out to rediscover the town with your friends and take some pics with your girls to appreciate where you live and remind yourselves of how stunning and happy you all look together? 

Some of my favorite spots include St Mary’s quad, Jarvie’s secret tea garden, and the Botanic Garden, but there are many more hidden around town! So don’t be afraid to get adventurous!

7.Start a Book Club 

With revision week coming up and classes finishing , we all finally have a bit more free time to read non-academically, and why not do it with friends? 

Take a trip to Toppings and purchase a book you all are drawn to. Give yourselves a few weeks to read it and then get together to discuss it over a glass of wine, in true Big Little Lies fashion. 

8.Go To The Byre Theatre 

Who said St Andrews was not creative? 

Ever find yourself looking for an original, but easy activity to do with your friends, that does not involve going to a coffee shop or the library? Well the Byre Theatre has got you covered. 

From student-led productions to professional troupes, the theatre always has something worth watching. Plus, they have an adorable bar where you can grab a nice drink to really soak in whatever you are watching. 

You can even make a day out of it and go for dinner first. Some restaurants in town, like Jahangir,  have a theatre dinner menu. Or, perhaps grab a cocktail at the Adamson later to discuss the play.

9.Go on a day trip to surrounding towns 

If you feel like you need a break from St Andrews, despite all its possibilities, try visiting the little picturesque towns that surround it. Thanks to the Young Scot Card you can travel for free to all of them until the age of 22. From Pittenweem, to St Monans and Anstruther, there are many coastal towns to visit, each with their own unique atmosphere and particular tourist attraction. For example, Anstruther is famous for its Fish and Chips, and Pittenweem for its colourful houses.

Each of these towns can be visited in a day, making them the perfect escape from a St Andrews overload. 

10. Go on a shopping trip to Edinburgh 

Finally, if a 40 minute bus ride is not far enough for you, why not try the train and visit Edinburgh for the day? 

Go shopping with your friends, take a stroll round the city, try new coffee shops like Eden Locke, and new restaurants like Hakataya. Take in the urban city atmosphere and maybe take a sneak peak at Christmas by walking around the Edinburgh Christmas markets. 

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to take the time to rest a bit and hang out with your friends before the hectic Christmas season arrives. We wish you all a very merry Fall!

Vera Fortun Marco

St. Andrews '26

Vera Fortun is a second-year English and IR student at the University of St Andrews. Apart from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys writing fiction prose and playing around with poetry. When she is not writing you can find her nose in a book, searching for new pieces to add to her wardrobe or seeking out new coffee shops around town.