All the shades of green at St Andrew’s: an insight into sustainability goals and the upcoming Green Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

More than ever before students and educators alike direct an increased focus towards sustainability and protecting our environment. The University of St Andrews established a strong commitment to sustainability in various forms, such as long-term goals, research, and providing the student body with resources to develop a more sustainable lifestyle; but also more focused and tangible action like Green Week organised by the Student Union’s Environment Subcommittee. 

The University has an ambitious goal to reach a “Net Zero” by 2035. This would be impossible to achieve without student commitment which is why, aside from various student-led societies and subcommittees that focus on the environment, there are also leadership positions in place that allow students to become environmental/ sustainability representatives for their school or hall. Among other commitments, St Andrews was part of the UK-based COP26 Universities Network; COP being one of the most important Green conferences on an international scale. 

The Univesity prioritizes reducing its energy usage by limiting the use of energy and water; making the transition to climate-ready infrastructure, installing SMART technology, LED lighting as well as a district heating network in town. Furthermore, it is committed to raising environmental awareness in the region through local networks such as the Fife Council. More ambitious and hands-on projects include Eden Campus holding the local biomass plant (which since its opening has reduced 20% of the University’s carbon footprint) and plans of completing the Kenly Wind Farm Project. The university also aims to make it easier for students to access sustainable nutrition by sourcing ingredients locally and including more plant-based meals in the dining halls and cafeterias. St Andrews also applies the principles of the Circular Economy and aims to significantly reduce waste, and establish internal/external systems of recycling, reusing, and composting. 

The Student Union’s Environmental subcommittee represents students’ views on sustainability and aims to help the student body live a ‘greener lifestyle.’ It raises awareness of environmental justice and focuses on the many intersections of sustainability and social justice. It played a crucial part in making social responsibility one of the core pillars of the University’s Strategy to ensure careful consideration of ethical and environmental aspects when making key decisions.  

It’s the Environmental subcommittee that also organises Green Week, held the 2nd week of the Candlemas semester; from inviting guest speakers to organising film nights and discussion groups, it ensures that there is plenty of fascinating ‘green’ events happening on campus that highlight the importance of sustainability. 

Getting involved in Green Week is a great way to learn more about sustainability and start making changes. There is only one planet that we all share and sustainable action is the only way to save it. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development established by the United Nations has set 17 goals with very specific targets aimed at creating a more equitable and ‘greener’ future. Although the current climate situation can seem very negative and ominous, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The misconception that economic growth and environmental protection are mutually exclusive has been debunked: “bold climate action” is predicted to, by 2030, generate $26 trillion in economic benefits and a transition to a “clean economy could produce over 65 million new low-carbon jobs.” That is extremely good news as it creates an economic incentive to implement sustainable action and create more green legislation. 

By implementing small changes into our daily routines we can make a difference. Although the crisis might seem overwhelming and proportionally larger than any isolated individual, all small, day-to-day changes add up! For example, according to the Exeter city council, “1 vegetarian day per week (52 days a year) can save nearly 100kgs of CO2 per year.” If everyone implements small changes into their routine, we will slowly but surely make a difference – even if it’s being able to breathe slightly cleaner air, have a little less waste or more ethical local production, when adjusted to scale these achievements will help us build a better tomorrow. If you wonder what your ecological footprint is click on this link to the Global Network Footprint and calculate it for yourself!

As Albert Einstein said:

“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.”

Oliwia Piecuch

St. Andrews '26

I'm a first year student at the University of St Andrews studying Economics. I'm really passionate about writing and after spending 2 years in an all-girls school, I place a lot of emphasis on feminism and strive to create women-focused spaces in academia.