Style > Fashion

A guide to student-run fashion and jewellery small businesses 

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Despite attending an institution with no fashion degrees, St Andrews students find themselves surrounded by an abundance of fashion and art societies. These collectives run numerous events throughout the year, such as shows and pop-up sales with creative outlets. But events are not the only reflection of the fashion scene in St Andrews. A number of student-run fashion and jewellery small businesses operate within the town, with many hosting pop-ups and collaborations throughout the academic year. Here, I provide a guide for the best way to shop small and sustainable, whilst also supporting fellow students in their entrepreneurial endeavours. 

One of the best vintage sellers in the area, Beeskia Vintage  — curated by students Izi Meadows and Abbie Lucie — stocks a wide range of y2k, 1960s and Italian vintage pieces. Alongside their online Depop shop, the pair regularly host pop-ups in Queens Gardens where live music provides the background to vintage browsing in a quaint garden setting. Recently, Beeskia collaborated with FS during a F4TE (fashion for the earth) pop-up in the Adamson, where I picked up a y2k Jane Norman off-the-shoulder top. At £25 — although slightly pricier than the average charity shop purchase — the quality was exceptional for a vintage piece and I was assured that the majority of what the sellers had curated was genuine vintage stock. Last weekend, they joined forces with fashion collective Sitara, at a thrift and tarot Valentines soiree at the Vic. With reasonable pricing and clearly well-curated stock, Beeskia vintage has to be one of my favourite fashion small businesses in St Andrews. 

Next up, Anasu. Former student Susannah founded the jewellery company during her second year at St Andrews yet despite her absence,  the company still continues to thrive. Similarly to Beeskia, these beaded and pearl pieces were being sold during the FS F4TE pop-up sale. The brand was specifically chosen for their focus on sustainability: every piece sold on their website is made to order. Anasu is inspired by the creators’ “love of travelling” and being able to “turn memories into delicate handmade pieces”. Although now officially based in North Yorkshire, the brand ships its beaded jewellery worldwide, albeit retaining its beachy origins from St Andrews. Priced reasonably at around £15-30 for necklaces and earrings alike, these pieces provide a perfect gift, travel accessory, or simply as a treat for yourself. 

‘Hooked by Aanya’, based in St Andrews, sells a range of knitted pieces whilst also taking commissions via Instagram. From cute jumpers to tie front tops (priced at around £30), these handmade pieces are sustainable and chic. The designer took part in Sustainable Style’s charity auction at the Sustainable Style Gala last March in Fallside Mill. With a stylish rack of hand made pieces up for auction, ‘Hooked by Aanya’s’ products were in strong demand. 

Also producing unique knitwear is St Andrews small business ‘Lan-o-lin’ which sells a number of handmade creations, my personal favourite being the knitted hoods — one of the best winter trends to have come out of 2024. Jumpers and cardigans of all colours and patterns alongside accessories such knitted bows are just some of the products available. Although slightly pricier, this clearly reflects the effort and craft required to create such stunning pieces. Regular drops and collections occur, changing with the seasons, so make sure you don’t miss the next one. Whether you’re looking for some new knitted accessories or a unique summer top, choosing something that’s both local and handmade will provide what you’ve been looking for. 

Seaglass found on the beaches of St Andrews has been the foundation of one former student’s small business, established in 2022. ‘Strand Jewellery’ creates “Beachy sea glass jewellery from St Andrews” which is shipped internationally and is a regular at student-run events and sales. Similarly to Beeskia and Anasu, Strand Jewellery was selling their affordable products at the FS pop up during F4TE week. Boasting gorgeous graduation presents or even a gift for yourself, these pieces bring a piece of the St Andrews beach with you, even after you’ve left.

Lastly, another small jewellery business I love is Juno Claire. Founded by current student Claire Henry, not only does the brand sell a variety of beaded and wire creations but they also host collabs and jewellery-making classes. Having attended a class in collaboration with BAME soc, I came away with the skills to create my very own earrings, with techniques such as wire shaping being expertly taught by Claire herself. The brand aims to “bring out your individuality and (help you) find a pair of go-to earrings where you can look in the mirror and say ‘I look amazing.’” This affordable small business pops up all over town and don’t forget to look out for its collaborative events — you don’t want to miss a chance to create your own unique pieces. 

With so many small businesses to shop and support in St Andrews, there really are so many ways in which to pick up something handmade and unique. Not only does this support ensure that these enterprises can continue, it allows fellow students to build up their brands and businesses. With that said, I urge you to attend the next small sale you hear about or browse some of the websites linked in this article. These small shops really shouldn’t be missed, nor should an opportunity to be sustainable.

Tilly Frain-Bell

St. Andrews '26

Hi! My name is Tilly and I am a second year student at the University of St Andrews studying French and International relations. During my spare time, I love going to the beach, playing lacrosse and sailing. I am excited to be a part of Her Campus and to expand my experience in the journalistic field.