This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Looking for a long weekend in Europe to cure small-town cabin fever? Searching for a place with new things to do, great food, and for a reasonable budget? Look no further than Hungary’s capital. Whether you’re after sightseeing and culture, or food and nightlife: Budapest has it covered.

As a Budapest regular since birth, I have curated the ultimate guide to give visitors an authentic Budapest experience. If you’re going for a week, or even just two days, I recommend ticking off a few of the following sights and activities.

But first, where to stay:

Budapest is divided by the Danube into two parts. Buda – the more relaxed historical side, situated on a hill with great views – and Pest, the beating heart of the city. I would recommend staying in Pest for the best access to all that the city has to offer, specifically in the Jewish quarter. Also known as ‘district VII’ or ‘Erzsébetváros’, this area is both the liveliest, with much of Budapest’s highlights nearby, and the most convenient, with an abundance of hostels and Airbnbs on offer.

Day time activities:

Budapest is famous for its Széchenyi thermal baths, the largest medicinal baths in Europe. These outdoor heated pools are perfect for soaking away the winter chill (or hangovers)! But many visitors miss the fun indoor areas, with saunas, steam rooms, hot pools and plunge pools. 

Budapest is also known for its escape rooms, with more than 160 rooms to choose from. All cleverly designed, these are an ideal group activity for a rainy afternoon. 

Feeling Christmassy? Check out the Christmas market in Vörösmarty square. Open from mid-November to the beginning of January, you can browse the handmade woodwork stalls with a mulled wine in hand, buy beautiful and easy-to-pack Christmas decorations, and try some Hungarian sausage or gingerbread.

If your trip is blessed with sunshine, why not pedal around Margit Island on a four-person surrey bike or drive around it on a scooter – all available to hire – enjoying views of Buda, Pest, and the Danube? 

Alternatively, if the weather’s not so great, visit the quirky underground pinball museum. This “Flippermúzeum” is open in the afternoons and evenings and is undoubtedly one of Budapest’s hidden gems. It has hundreds of pinball machines and other arcade games for you to play with, for a very reasonable entrance fee, along with a unique underground bar café.

Sightseeing opportunities:

For the best view of the city climb the Gellért Hill on the Buda side of the Danube. Or walk up the medieval ramparts of the neighbouring Castle Hill to get to the Baroque Palace which houses the Budapest History Museum and National Gallery.

Budapest is famous for the architecture of its Parliament building, especially beautiful at night from a river boat trip

If you have a taste for art and history visit the Fine Art Gallery and the national monument Hero’s Square, which are both conveniently located near the thermal baths!

Nightlife:

A night out in Budapest isn’t complete without visiting one of the famous “ruin bars”. Unique to Budapest, these are vibrant semi-outdoor pubs that quite literally infiltrate the demolished buildings of Budapest. The most famous, largest, and iconic of them all is Szimpla Kert, however, local treasures around the Jewish quarter are just as charming. The Gozsdu Udvar is another great option if you are looking for nightlife. The Udvar is a long tunnel of bars (and karaoke spots), perfect for a bar crawl.

Looking for somewhere after the bars close? Try Instant-Fogas, Budapest’s largest club, composed of seven different clubs in one building. The club offers free entry, and the drinks are almost always reasonable. Not to be omitted from this recommendation is the pizza joint, “Pizza Me” just down the road, which serves, in my experienced opinion, the best 6am pizza slice the city has to offer.

Where to Eat:

Beyond this post-club indulgence, Budapest has some spectacular gastronomy on offer. 

Mazel Tov is a beautiful Jewish restaurant in a stylish old courtyard, offering a warm Mediterranean vibe. This restaurant is, rightfully, exceedingly popular and would be one to book in advance. Think live music, twinkly lights, and hummus.

For traditional Hungarian food, try the “M” restaurant which radiates a romantic eclectic vibe. Whilst the wine here is also fantastic, the unique menu, which changes according to the produce at the daily market, is its true highlight.

If walking the city gets you hungary (hah), why not try some Hungarian street food? Lángos is Hungarian fried bread resembling pizza, traditionally topped with sour cream and cheese. If you fancy a sweet treat, try Kürtóskalács, or Chimney Cake, a cinnamon covered cone. It’s doughy, sweet and delicious. Both of these are available in kiosks all over the city!

One of the greatest things about Budapest is how accessible it is, by foot, by electric scooter, by tram: just take your pick. Budapest is the type of city where you can fit multiple activities in to the day and still make it out to the ruin bars. The unique and affordable activities everywhere you go are what make Budapest, as George Ezra once sang, a “hidden treasure chest”.

Miriam Blanchard

St. Andrews '25

Miriam is a third year at St Andrews studying English Literature, having done medieval and ancient history at sub-honours. In her spare time she can be found reading or with her friends!