photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

6 Uplifting Songs to Brighten Up Your Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

There’s nothing better to beat a gloomy weekend than a playlist of happy and cheerful songs, especially after the first week back after Revision Week. I’m probably not the only one having trouble getting back into the work mindset, and a good playlist always cheers me up :)

1. Feeling Good, Nina Simone

It’s a new dawn It’s a new day It’s a new life For me And I’m feeling good

This is the song I always turn to when I need a bit of light and hope in my life, it reminds me that no matter what, there will always be tomorrow, and I’ll be feeling good, and it’ll be “a new dawn”. I love Michael Buble’s cover of this, but nothing beats Nina Simone.

2. Come Fly With Me, Frank Sinatra

Weather-wise, it’s such a lovely day Just say the words and we’ll beat the birds Down to Acapulco Bay It is perfect for a flying honeymoon, they say Come fly with me, let’s fly, let’s fly away

Nothing makes a day better than listening to some classic Sinatra, and this is one of my favourites – whenever I’m down, this song takes me away to “up there where the air is rarefied”, brightening up my mood. Listen to this song, and your troubles will just fly away.

Coincidentally, Michael Buble also recorded a cover of this song, and it’s worth listening to, but I’ll take Ol’ Blue Eyes any day.

3. Livin’ on a Prayer, Bon Jovi

Whoa, we’re halfway there Whoa we’re livin’ on a prayer Take my hand and we’ll make it – I swear Whoa, we’re livin’ on a prayer

Sometimes there’s no way to cure a bad mood but to dance it out, and Livin’ on a Prayer is just the perfect dance song – I just love the chorus.

4. Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now, Starship

And we can build this dream together Standing strong forever Nothing’s gonna stop us now

And if this world runs out of lovers We’ll still have each other Nothing’s gonna stop us, nothing’s gonna stop us now

I have a weakness for 80s rock songs, and this one never fails to bring a smile to my face whenever I hear on shuffle. It might be a romantic love song, but its lyrics also apply to other kinds of love. If we try and don’t give up, nothing’s gonna stop us now if we love and support each other, and that’s a reminder we really need this week.

5. Build Me Up Buttercup, The Foundations

Why do you build me up (build me up) buttercup, baby Just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby

This song might seem like a strange choice for this list, cause its lyrics aren’t exactly cheery, but the melody is just so catchy and bright, I couldn’t resist. This is another oft-replayed song on my iTunes.

6. Here Comes the Sun, the Beatles

Little darling, it’s been a long cold lonely winter Little darling, it feels like years since it’s been here Here comes the sun Here comes the sun, and I say It’s all right

I don’t think I could have chosen another song to finish off this list. This Beatles song is an absolute classic, with its quietly joyful melody and its brightly optimistic lyrics – some days might feel hopeless and long, but winter never lasts forever, even when it’s cold and lonely, and the sun will always come, and we’ll all be alright in the end.

Happy listening :)

Jenny Yau

St. Andrews

I'm Jenny Yau, 19 and from Hong Kong. Reading, writing poetry and watching tv are my main obsessions. I am sometimes mistaken for a hermit, but I'm friendly once you get to know me :p