Life > Experiences

5 Best Destinations for Your Reading Week Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Reading week is the perfect time to get out of town and explore a new destination. After the stress and monotony of midterms, taking a reading week trip can be the perfect way to rejuvenate and feel refreshed for the rest of the semester. Below are five destinations that are great for a wanderlust-fuelled short getaway!

Paris

Paris is definitely a bucket list city, and if you haven’t visited yet, make it your priority. Flights from Edinburgh are almost always affordable and the flight time is less than two hours. Whether you decide to visit for a few days or the full week, Paris will keep you busy and constantly amazed by its variety of sights and experiences. Art enthusiasts will be kept intrigued by Paris’s wide array of museums, from the Louvre to the Musée d’Orsay and the Rodin Museum. Meanwhile, gastronomists will adore Paris’s unforgettable cuisine and innovatively designed restaurants. Paris is a city that offers unique excitement for every type of person, and should definitely be at the top of your travel list.

Amsterdam

Amsterdam is another city that everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. There are plenty of flights and many popular hostels to choose from if you wish to save money on accommodation. Amsterdam boasts some of the world’s best museums, including the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum – which holds an immense collection of Flemish art. The canals are particularly gorgeous in autumn when they are surrounded by trees with golden leaves and lined with romantic cobblestone streets. From Stroopwaffel to Bitterballen, Amsterdam is also a great place to try classic Dutch comfort foods. You can even take a tour through Amsterdam’s famous breweries after – to get the full Dutch experience!

London

If you want to stay in the UK during reading week, taking the train or flying down to London is another great way to get out of town for a few days. While the accommodation may be more expensive than in other cities, saving money on a trip to another country can make London an easier and a more relaxing option. London is also gorgeous in the autumn months, as the city cools down and the fall foliage makes strolls through its streets even more magical than usual. Whether you want to have a picnic in one of London’s many parks or visit the Tate Modern and other museums spread throughout the city, London offers numerous exciting activities that will keep you busy, and excited.

Budapest

Among the famous European travel destinations, Budapest is arguably the most underrated. Food and accommodation are more affordable than in other popular cities while being just as impressive. Transportation is also extremely easy to navigate – with trams, underground subway systems, an Uber-style app called “Bolt”, and walking all being accessible options. Budapest’s thermal baths and famous beer spas are a great place to relax and have a spa day, and its quirky ruin bars are a fun and unique way to experience nightlife in a new city.

Copenhagen

Lastly, visiting the Scandinavian city of Copenhagen is another perfect option for your reading week trip. Copenhagen is compact enough to walk around all of its popular tourist spots, and there is also a modern public transportation system that makes getting around the city very accessible. The city’s canals are wonderful to explore, and you can even book a session on a floating hot tub that drifts throughout the canals! Copenhagen is also famous for being a very experimental and artistic city, which is evident in its street style and unique cityscape. If you’re interested in Nordic style and urban sightseeing, Copenhagen is the place for you!

Molly Finn

St. Andrews '23

Hi everyone! My name is Molly, and I'm a second year at the University of St Andrews studying International Relations and Art History. I grew up in Southern California and am a total matcha and fashion addict. I'm a big advocate for focusing on self-care and mental health, and staying up to date on current events.