This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

First on the list is The Night Circus, an enchanting novel that delineates a love affair between two young magicians who find themselves in a deadly competition. The evocative and lyrical description of the circus will sweep you into a story of enchantment and magic. The wonder of the book is not in the plot but in its storytelling, and in the beauty of the world that Morgenstern develops, with the gothic style and atmosphere of the circus providing the perfect bewitching energy to start this season with. 

2. The Secret History by Donna Tartt

If you haven’t yet read The Secret History, this autumn is the perfect time to add it to your bookshelf. The book has everything fall-themed that you could want: a New England autumn, university students studying Classics, psychological turmoil, and even a shocking murder. The plot follows an exclusive clique of over-privileged classics students as they hurtle towards their own disintegration, a psychologically captivating tale of wretched self-destruction. It’s one of the best modern novels, and is very likely to be deemed a renowned classic someday. The writing is hauntingly beautiful and absolutely enthralling; you won’t be able to put it down! 

3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein has earned its notoriety — including multiple film adaptations — for excellent reason. The 1818 novel by Mary Shelley is an intense psychological read that follows the themes of ambition, monstrosity, and the nature of human compassion. The fundamental humanity and depth of character exhibited in the unnamed “monster” makes the creature a tragic figure, and adds another element of horror to the tragedies of the novel. The writing is absolutely compelling and its dark themes make it the perfect spooky read to try out this autumn. 

4. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

While the film adaptation of Rebecca is wonderfully haunting, nothing compares to the original novel. The story follows a young newlywed who moves into the English country estate of the widower Max de Winter. The mansion is grand and luxurious, but the new Mrs de Winter quickly feels the heavy presence of Mr de Winter’s previous wife, Rebecca. Perhaps the true horror of the story is the ghost of Rebecca, or plausibly a secret even more sinister. Rebecca is a classic gothic novel with a chilling plot that will put you in an eerie Autumn mood.

5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women is both a heartwarming and cozy read, the perfect book for a rainy autumn day. The writing is simple but creative, and you can’t help but laugh at the hilarious antics of the four March sisters through their journey from childhood to womanhood. The novel follows their lives in New England during the Civil War, as they learn the value of family responsibilities, unconditional love, and the happiness that self-sacrifice brings. Little Women provides a story that is both nostalgic and sentimental, and will leave you smiling as you read it. 

Molly Finn

St. Andrews '23

Hi everyone! My name is Molly, and I'm a second year at the University of St Andrews studying International Relations and Art History. I grew up in Southern California and am a total matcha and fashion addict. I'm a big advocate for focusing on self-care and mental health, and staying up to date on current events.