Career > Work

3 Tips for Tackling the Startup Life as an Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Entering the second term is exciting and equally daunting as conversations about summer internships and job applications take centre stage. It seems like we’re all ditching movie nights with friends in favour of bonding over the stress of virtual assessments and interviews. While it may feel overwhelming to engage in these types of conversations, I’ve personally found comfort and inspiration from the advice of friends and former colleagues. With that being said, here are tips for aspiring interns interested in working in a small business.

Get familiar with a virtual calendar

If you’re not already scheduling your events, meetings and deadlines on a digital calendar, you’re probably losing more hair than you should be. Scheduling content in advance helps you stay organised and productive, but most importantly, reduces mental clutter which keeps the stress at bay. In an environment as fast-paced as a startup, it’s essential to learn how to quickly adapt to changing circumstances. I’ve found that using a digital calendar is more efficient than a paper one as I can easily revise my schedule and set notifications before important events.

Recently I’ve developed a penchant for time blocking, a strategy that allows you to manage work by dividing hours of each day for specific tasks. As someone who feels most productive after completing my lectures in the afternoon, I try to dedicate important tasks to hours in the evening. After making a switch to time blocking on Google Calendar, I’ve never looked back to my former tedious list on Notes or Reminders apps.

Maximise workplace friendships without overstepping

Not only does having a strong rapport with your team improve your productivity and collaboration skills, workplace friendships allow you to feel a sense of belonging. 

As tempting as the world of podcasts or music may be during those precious one-hour lunch breaks, it’s always a good idea to invite your colleagues out for coffee, get to know each other, and exchange ideas on a new client or a project. Connecting with your colleagues will make those long and restless hours go by much faster. Additionally, your colleagues are likely to share similar interests and aspirations, so having that connection may be helpful moving forward.

Nevertheless, setting boundaries for workplace friendships is also crucial. Learn how to have exciting and meaningful conversations without diving into personal matters that might make others uncomfortable – whether that be political views or household affairs. Learn to embrace the art of small talk because there truly are certain things better left unsaid.

Develop your client relations skills

In my most recent internship at a startup, I was responsible for leading weekly meetings with our clients to provide updates on the progress of their marketing campaigns while discussing strategies for improvement. The smaller team at a startup requires closer contact and cooperation with clients. Build your client relations skills by consistently meeting deadlines, asking for feedback, and showing appreciation where it’s due. Use language that validates your client’s concerns and frustrations, but stay realistic about what your team can feasibly achieve. It’s important to consistently approach your clients with enthusiasm and empathy to build trust and loyalty.

All in all?

When it comes to starting an internship, the most valuable assets you can bring are your attitude and resilience. Internships are a stepping stone to your future – remember to stay engaged and focused on every small detail of work.

As Robert Louis Stevenson said: “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.”

Erin Yip

St. Andrews '24

A fourth-year student pursuing English and Psychology at the University of St. Andrews who loves literature and writing!