This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

As autumn brings around rainier and darker days, it’s common to spend more time indoors. While this can be a perfect excuse to get more work done, it’s important to take breaks from university work and find fun activities to brighten your day. Below are 20 fun – and a few productive – ideas for at-home activities to keep you busy during bad weather and gloomy days.

1. Catch up on Reading

Gloomy days are the best time to catch up on reading and get through those books you have been meaning to pick up. Personally, I’ve been loving the online secondhand bookshop thriftbooks

2. Have a Netflix Binge

Movie marathons or TV binges are a fun, cozy activity when staying inside, especially during bad weather when you can watch with some blankets and hot chocolate. From sitcoms to mystery movies – there is always something to check out! 

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

3. Organize your room

When in need of a study break, organizing your room can be a fun distraction that still feels productive – especially organizing your clothes or makeup. 

4. Bake some autumn treats

Another classic rainy day activity is baking, especially since learning to bake new foods is a great skill to have. Whether sharing with friends or making a dessert for yourself, there is always a new recipe to try. Check out our article on autumnal desserts for inspiration!

5. Online Shopping

One of the great benefits of living in the digital age is the concept of online shopping. From ordering vintage clothes on Depop to browsing online retail sites like Aritzia, I have definitely spent hours planning out new outfits and having clothes delivered to my flat. When the weather is bad outside, online shopping can be a fun outlet for planning outfits for the new season.

6. Cook a new recipe

During gloomy weather, cooking a festive meal can be a fun way to pass the time. Whether it’s an Italian pasta dish or pot roast, cooking makes your kitchen smell great and is a useful way to budget.

Photo by One Shot from Pexels

7. Facetime some friends from back home

Bad weather can definitely dampen your mood, so catching up with friends is a fun way to brighten your day and feel closer to home. 

8. Check out a new podcast

There are so many interesting podcasts out now in every possible genre – from fashion to dating tips and true crime. I plan on checking out Planet Money and Stuff Mom Never Told You

9. Browse Zillow

Ever pictured your dream house? Look through houses on Zillow to daydream about your future house goals and start making a mental architectural checklist.

10. Do a workout

Indoor workouts can always be a fun way to release some endorphins and boost your mood when you have been inside all day, and Youtube workout videos are a quick and productive way of doing so! Read Her Campus’s article on home workouts for motivation.

Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

11. Watch a documentary

There are so many informative and interesting documentaries to watch online, making them the perfect thing to watch when you are bored inside and want to learn about something new. 

12.  Check out Pinterest

Creating new Pinterest boards is definitely a fantastic break from work, whether planning out your pinterest wedding or making a board for flat decor inspiration. 

13. Clean out your camera roll

By cleaning out your camera roll, you can both bring back some iCloud storage and spend time reminiscing about past memories – a great hit of nostalgia for a gloomy day!

14. Make a bucket list

Now is the perfect time to plan out your next adventure and all the bucket list experiences you want to have when able to travel again – from skydiving to seeing the Northern Lights. 

15. Start learning a new language

Whether you give Duolingo a shot or watch beginner’s videos on Youtube, learning a new language can be entertaining and feels like the perfect productive distraction from work.

16. Make a Vision Board

When bad weather starts to make you feel down, making a vision board can be a fun artistic activity for envisioning what you want in your future. 

17. Write a letter to a family member

Writing letters can be a very thoughtful and genuine way to keep in touch with a loved one, and is a great way to practice your penmanship with most university work currently being online.

Two letters in letter box
Photo by Aelis Harris from Burst/Shopify

18. Learn a new cocktail recipe

Learn how to make some fancy new cocktails to show your friends and impress people next time you’re at a party!

19. Clean your makeup brushes

Cleaning your makeup brushes can seem like a total chore, but doing so regularly is a good idea to keep your skin clean – simply rinse with water and a gentle soap then leave them out to dry. 

20. Try a new skincare routine

What is a better way to prepare yourself for the next time the weather is good enough to go out than trying a new skincare routine? Find a new organic skin recipe and make your skin glow!

Molly Finn

St. Andrews '23

Hi everyone! My name is Molly, and I'm a second year at the University of St Andrews studying International Relations and Art History. I grew up in Southern California and am a total matcha and fashion addict. I'm a big advocate for focusing on self-care and mental health, and staying up to date on current events.
The University of St Andrews chapter of Her Campus!