Life > Experiences

1794 Ball Review:  St. Andrew’s Regency Ball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

Upon hearing the word regency, I immediately think of Jane Austen’s famously romantic and cynical Pride & Prejudice, Netflix’s Bridgerton (although I admit, it is not my favorite TV show) with its intricate and colorful empire-silhouette dresses, and a plethora of historical romance novels I have read since high school. As described by JSTOR Daily, the popularity of the regency era is famous, with a billion dollar romance-novel industry resting on the sub-genre, which brims with stories of independent, witty, and unconventional female heroines and their classic love interests, all of which is set against the era’s romantic and ephemeral cultural backdrop.

Therefore, when my friends and I stumbled across the regency themed ball at St. Andrews on the 1794 Ball instagram page, we were immediately excited and purchased tickets as soon as they became available. We all agreed that the £30 ticket was a lot less expensive than some of the other balls we had seen, such as the Christmas Ball’s £50 ticket or £90 FS shows. The theme was also a unique choice–one that we had not previously seen at St. Andrews–and it appeals to anyone with a love of Jane Austen, regency literature and romance, and an interest in the fashion of the time. After we purchased tickets, we already began discussing the regency-themed dresses and accessories we could wear.

By the time the night of the ball rolled around, I had decided to stick with one of the simple, black dresses hanging in my closet and ended up not being quite on theme due to a simple desire to avoid purchasing an entirely new, expensive dress. Most of my friends ended up doing the same, sticking with their pre-owned dresses and adhering to elements of the regency theme through satin gloves or pearled jewelry. 

When we arrived at the venue, Hotel Du Vin, I quickly discovered that the majority of people at the ball appeared to have similarly incorporated regency elements into their outfits while wearing otherwise distinctly 2000s dresses and suits. There was only a small number of people who had gone all out, donning captivating, colourful dresses, curling their hair, and even wearing historically-accurate bonnets and gloves. I found myself enamored by everyone’s outfits, the twinkling fairy lights and vines strung around the ceiling, and the simplistic yet elegant hotel ballroom. 

Although I admired everyone’s take on the theme, I found myself slightly disappointed by the use of the venue and space, as it was on the smaller side and entirely lacked regency-themed decorations and, instead, utilized minimalistic, unrelated decor. I was similarly disappointed by the photo area, which only included a small white sheet backdrop for attendees to take photos in front of, with a couple of wooden frames and props to hold up for photos (although I did really love the photobooth’s flower crowns). Beyond the decor, the music choices were mostly 2000s pop with colorful, neon lights glimmering across the dance floor as the speakers blared out familiar lyrics. Although the music was fun to dance to, the whole ball felt entirely detached from the regency era, with only the outfits of the attendees holding the original theme together. 

Although the ball included some unique elements such as a tarot card reader and magician, organisers could have included elements that specifically brought together the regency era such as the classical music and traditional dances I have witnessed at other balls. A dance or two with a couple of classical songs and orchestrated dances would have been well-suited to the theme, which is famous for its dramatic ballrooms that transform into spaces of romance, gossip, and intrigue as detailed by the literature and art of the period. The decor similarly could have utilized depictions of famous authors such as Jane Austen or ornamental elements that drew from the classical art and literature that influenced the era’s aesthetic. 

Overall, The 1794 Ball was a reasonably priced, fun, and enjoyable ball that came with classic pop songs to dance to, a bar to purchase drinks, and plenty of places to sit and relax throughout the venue. I would highly recommend attending if you are looking for a smaller ball on the cheaper side that allows for creative outfits; however, I think that this ball could have furthered its originality and ultimately missed an opportunity to fully recreate the ambiance and aesthetic of the era it aspired to. 

Devon Davila

St. Andrews '26

Devon is a second year from Los Angeles, California studying English at The University of St. Andrews. She is passionate about tackling political, social, and cultural issues such as women’s rights, systemic racism, and climate change while also taking an interest in popular culture and mental health. She has won several photography and writing awards throughout her life and hopes to pursue creative writing and journalism beyond university. Outside Her Campus, her interests and hobbies include listening to music (particularly obsessing over Taylor Swift), photography, studying in coffee shops, singing and playing guitar, hiking and exploring nature, traveling, drinking hot tea in bed, writing poetry, and reading.