You’re Not Alone on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

There is definitely an apparent divide in opinions on hallmark holidays, the largest being Valentines Day. It’s either a day that people plan and look forward to, or one they dread. I decided to interview SPU students to hear about their Valentines Day plans with the intention of interviewing both single students and ones that are in relationships. Ironically, the ones that were single were the only ones that responded to my text… Clearly these are the students that have more to say on the matter. I told them to speak candidly, and oh did they… For that, I decided to leave these anonymous. I hope these hilarious responses cheer you up and remind you that you aren’t, in fact, alone on Valentines Day.

“I’m tentatively going to an Angry Feminists’ Galentine’s Day brunch! It kills 2 birds with one stone cause we get to rage about the patriarchy & love our feminists sisters at the same time.”

“Well you can say I’m extremely single so me and my also very single friends are getting drunk and talking about our embarrassing guy stories (which I’m afraid to say there are many)”

“Taking advantage of the 3 day weekend and road tripping out to Palouse Falls in eastern Washington!”

“My plans are: wake up, realize I’m single, maybe cry in the shower while I think of all the romantic things couples will be doing that day. Buy myself some ice cream, maybe even macarons because damn it, I DESERVE IT. And watch clueless while I will probably cry some more.”

“Well, I’m playing a solo piano concert in Fremont, then probably eating dulce de leche ice cream until I pass out – unless something else comes up. If you can beat dulce de leche, let me know!”

“Well I got a concussion last week so my only plans are to hopefully not be brain dead by the time Valentine’s Day comes around.”

“I’m going to church and leading worship because Jesus is the only love in my life”

“This day makes me feel very Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon Levitt) via 500 Days of Summer, you know, in all the glory of his anti-greeting card quit scene rage. I say half of me plays hopeless romantic anticipating something comes of it, but a level head on my shoulders would argue I’ll be ordering Thai and marathoning Game of Thrones.”

“What am I doing? Myself. Cause I’m single. AF.”

“Hmm. I want to get a “I hate valentines day” piñata and smash it up like they do in the movie Valentines Day.”

“Well, there’s like a really high chance I’ll treat myself to a grilled cheese to soak up the loneliness inside of me, and then I’ll probs give a listen to my buddy Cody’s concert. I say I’m not into Hallmark holidays, but I probably would be in a more…..shared context. I’m actually pretty happy, but people like artists that are more sad about being single. I’m more into dwelling on the beauty of lost love. And grilled cheese.”

“Hanging out with my dog.”

“Well. Let me think about it. *sigh* Trying to recreate valentines day the movie with a piñata, baseball bat and Indian food. (I might write names of fuck boys on the piñata) just all of the names. There are too many…”

“Well the guy I like is spending it with his mother…so that about sums it up.”

** All images found from www.pinterest.com**

Fashion Merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University going into my junior year. I am publicist for SPU MODE Fashion Group, work at a local boutique and have my own style blog. City girl at heart who loves stripes, macarons and anything fashion related.
Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com