Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Winter Quarter Finals Prep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Winter quarter is a notoriously difficult term for many students. Rain, darkness, and class loads all weigh down on everyone a little bit more. But I have great news! There is light at the end of the tunnel, not only figuratively but literally with daylight lasting longer! 

But regardless of knowing there is an end in sight does not make it any easier. We are currently amidst dead week and finals are right around the quarter – meaning you need some tips to survive. And you’re in luck because after three winter terms, I think I have some study methods that are tried and true. 

Whether you have projects, essays, or exams, the best way to manage your time is to break it up into sections. Set aside and plan certain amounts of time for you to work on each class. For example, I like to physically write down my plan, a check-list with times to complete finals work. And don’t forget to implement a break for yourself, either between each section or during the allotted time. It looks something like this…

• Sociology Research Paper: 9-11am 

• Journalism Magazine Project: 11:30-1:45

• Lunch Break

• Sociology Exam Study: 2:30-3:30

I also like to make a checklist in the last week of classes to ensure I don’t miss any small assignments. Comb through your syllabi and write down the remaining assignments you need to do before the end of the quarter. If you’re anything like me, checking off a task is so satisfying and doesn’t feel like such a drag. 

Remember, breaks are important. No one was meant to sit at their desks for 8+ hours a day without a break. Personally, I have to take breaks as soon as I realize my focus is dwindling. This ensures that the quality of my work isn’t diminished and allows for a small brain break. Plus looking at screens for hours on end is terrible for your eyes, so make sure to avoid screens during your breaks. 

Don’t stress. I know that this is something you probably saw in your high school wellness textbook, but seriously. I find when I start to stress myself out, the quality and effort of my assignments are very noticeable. It may seem like a tall mountain to climb to finish the quarter but you will do it, one way or another. Don’t waste time stressing yourself out when you could be getting work done. It sounds over simplified but, take a deep breath and take it one step at a time.

Finally, communicate with your professors or other classmates. Odds are, other people are feeling the stress just as much as you are. Don’t be afraid to ask for extensions or sit down (or zoom) with your professors. The worst thing that can happen is that they don’t offer you the extension, but at least you tried. Reach out to a classmate as well and ask how they’re doing and if you can study, discuss, or rant with one another regarding the impending doom of finals. 

Give it a shot and try some new methods in your studying and who knows, maybe it’ll work out for you! Best of luck readers, wishing you a good end to your quarter. 

Tori McArthur is a Journalism and Sociology major at Seattle Pacific University. She loves to travel and lives by Indy Blue's mantra of "creating the life you want." You can probably find her at a thrift store in Seattle with a coffee in hand.