This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

With all the extra time spent at home lately, if you are like me, it feels like you have watched all of Netflix… twice. I found myself getting sick of sitting and watching TV all the time so I decided to think of different ways that I could spend my time when I want to wind down and relax. 

————

Start reading that book you bought over a year ago & never started!

Anyone else do this? I have so many books on my bookshelf that have been collecting dust ever since I bought them. My friends and I always talk about how we used to love reading… before it became a homework assignment. I used to think that reading for pleasure after a day full of reading for school would be awful but I was wrong! Reading something you actually enjoy just because you want to (not because a professor made you) is so relaxing and engaging. If you read only one chapter or you finish half the book, reading can be an amazing way to wind down at the end of the day.

Channel your inner artist and get creative!

Creating something with your hands is an amazing way to relax and getting creative can mean anything. Some things that come to mind include drawing, painting, or knitting. If you are like me and don’t have an artistic bone in your body, you might just skip this option and try something else on this list, but wait! I am not telling you that you need to create something that belongs in the Louvre, I am just telling you to create something! I did this by buying a paint by numbers from Michael’s and painting while listening to music or a podcast. (If you need a good podcast recommendation read our article from last week for inspiration!)  

Move your body!

I know that this one sounds like a weird way to wind down, but trust me! I am not saying go climb a mountain or do a HIIT workout. My friends and I have found that going for walks is so relaxing. Whether you are with another person, with your headphones, or just simply walking, you are letting your mind think about something other than that reading response or your chemistry homework. If you aren’t into the whole walking thing, things like yoga or simply taking some time to stretch not only helps your body but it will let your mind take a break.

Grab your friends and play a game!

While winding down could mean being mellow and quiet, it could also mean getting your roommate/housemates together and breaking out the card games. If giving your brain a break is the goal, though, I would recommend staying away from the crazy intense strategy games, but if that is your thing then go for it! Play a game and laugh a little (or a lot). Your mind will thank you. 

Pick up a pen and write!

I used to be completely against journaling. I wasn’t against it because I didn’t think it would work, I just sucked at consistently writing everyday. I have learned now, though, that journaling has literally no rules or restrictions. You can journal everyday, once a week, or once a month. You can write about your day, about your dreams, or just completely make up a story and go with it! For me, it is incredibly helpful for me to write about my day, but you should write about whatever YOU want to write about. Also, this does not have to be the next great American novel either. Write as little or as much as you want. Take a deep breath and just write.

————

Winding down with a cup of tea and a good Netflix show is nice sometimes, but not all the time. When you get tired of rewatching that TV show, maybe try out another way to relax, whether that be one of the 5 I just wrote about or something completely different. Life is hard and taking time to relax is important. Don’t forget to give your brain a break every once in a while. You deserve it!

Cassidy Bianchi-Rossi is a physiology student at Seattle Pacific University minoring in chemistry. She loves to drink coffee, talk about her dogs, and watch sports and Netflix.