This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Every year around Valentine’s day, we try to show affection to our loved ones. Giving gifts is great, but sometimes the classic chocolate and flowers get to be a bore.  If you’d like some new ideas, you are in the right place. 

I have been exploring Seattle, interviewing small local businesses that would love to make your Valentine’s day the best it can possibly be. So here’s your go-tos for presents for yourself, your best friend, or significant other. 

Life is like a Box of Macarons

If France is the city of love, why not give one of their most beloved treats? If you are looking to switch it up from chocolates, I’d recommend Lady Yum at Bellevue Square. Made from fresh, local ingredients, Lady Yum macarons have magic in their taste. This February, they have some exclusive flavors that you will not want to miss. My personal favorite and high recommendation is Raspberry Lychee Rose. And if you love fruity flavors, you’ll love Hawaiian pound cake. Chocolate covered strawberry lover? Get the chocolate stuffed strawberry. And of course, their signature flavors like best sellers, salted caramel, and lemon are always  a treat. Go see for yourself! You won’t regret it. 

Love Grows

Flowers. A classic Valentine’s day gift that never goes out of style. The only downside of gifting fresh cut flowers is that they die so quickly! So instead you could buy your loved one a flower plant, succulent, or house plant. Something that will bloom and flower like your love does. A magical place that will have just the gift for you, geared specifically for Seattle weather, is Ravenna Gardens at University Village. Founded in 1997, Ravenna Gardens has all things plants and gardening and is focused on the needs of the Northwest environment. Indoor plants, outdoor, they have it. I recommend their indoor jasmine plants. Not only is their rich scent incredibly pleasant, they are also known as the Queen of the Night and bring you calmness and cheer. If someone wanted to give me something as beautiful as this flower, I wouldn’t say no. 

Diamonds are a Girl’s (or anyone’s) best friend

Jewelry never goes out of style. It’s fun, stylish and made for everyone!  You don’t necessarily need to replace the amazing accessory that is jewelry, but you can change your source. One of my favorite places to buy jewelry is at Something Silver. Located at University Village, Something Silver is a local business that not only makes and designs jewelry from their own line, but sells jewelry for other small local businesses in Seattle. You aren’t just getting a variety of designs of jewelry but also making someone’s day. Regardless of the name, Something Silver doesn’t only sell silver but also have a large variety of gold jewelry from rings to chains! You won’t want to miss this experience! Jewelry is a classic gift that always makes someone’s day. 

You are my cup of tea

Imagine this. A picnic outside with your significant other or bestie, surrounded by the beautiful colors of nature, birds chirping, wind rustling through a field of flowers. Absolutely romantic or platonic, you pick… Well since we live in a city, the field of flowers might not be quite as accessible, but to complete this scenario, you can never go wrong with a cup of tea and scrumptious crumpets. Where  is tea and crumpets delivered in this bustling city? Well the Queen Mary Tea Emporium of course! Their special blends of tea and cookies are absolutely divine. his place has been here for 33 years, and the love and satisfaction hasn’t changed since. Check out HC SPU’s Tea Review by Jordan Davies for some more suggestions of delicious tea. Take your loved one on a beautiful picnic and try adding a whimsical flare to the event. It will be an experience like no other. 

Capture the moment

What better way to spend Valentine’s day than to capture those special memories together. What am I suggesting? A photoshoot of course? Below I have suggested a few photos from at SPU that specialize in capturing the essence of what makes your love and friendship special. 

Jenna Rasmussen VCD:

Jenna runs the creative design account, Jenna Rasmissen Visual Communications Design majoring in Visual Communications and minoring in Linguistics. Her style of photography is versatile to capture the essence of the person she is taking a picture of to make the most authentic photo of them possible mixed with vivid pops of color. Natural light or studio lights, she can do both. This season she is having a February Special. Five photos for $25 on campus with one a one hour shoot. One outfit and one location. Whether it’s with a couple, friends or just self portraits, she would love to take your photo this season. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact her through her email, social media or website.

Email: rasmussenj3@spu.edu

Instagram: @jennarasmussen_vcd

Website: jennarasmussenvcd.myportfolio.com

Jordan Hayward Photo:

Jordan Hayward, a lover of music and fashion has a style of photography that is bold and authentic with a mixture of natural light and texture. This season, he is having Valentine’s Day mini sessions. 1 hour, 15 fully edited photos of your choice, all for $150. If you have any questions or want to book your session today, I’ve left his contact information down below. 

Email: haywardj@spu.edu

Instagram: @jomohayward

Website: jordanhaywardphoto.com

Abigail Inc:

Abigail (Gail) Young has been a photographer for four years now. She took senior photos in high school. Her specialty is portrait photography but is also open to group photos and adds a flare of in the moment photos so expect to move around a lot to capture natural movement. Her rate starts at $80 for a full shoot with around 25 edited photos. Hit her up! She loves making new friends. 

Email: younga16@spu.edu

Instagram: @abigail.inc

Check out some sample photographs from the photographers above.   

This Valentine’s day is different from past ones, but regardless, I hope you will make the most out of this season where we celebrate each other. Happy Valentine’s Day! 

Hello everyone! My name is Handrae Henthorn. I am a freshman at Seattle Pacific University, double majoring in computer science and general engineering. Even though my studies are heavy in math and science, I always make time to express my creative side whether it's through my clothing or singing onstage whenever I get the chance!