Collage of Instagram Based Businesses merch/product
Design by Taylor Hiroyasu
Style

Three Instagram Businesses that Will Instantly Make You Want to Add to Your Cart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Instagram isn’t just a platform for posting pics with your #squad or stalking that cute classmate from history class. It is now the place to promote your business and an even better place to start one. Here are my three favorites!

1. Lonely Ghost (LG)

Started by the Instagram influencer Indy Severe, LG is now the brand that everyone wants to own.

For those who know me well, some may say that I am an “Indy Blue Stan”. I’ve been following Indy for years and have become very inspired by her drive, dedication, and commitment to creating her dream life. While I have never met Indy herself, it sure is at the top of my bucket list. 

I could go on for days talking about how I remember the exact moment Indy and her mom followed me on Instagram. Or how both Indy and her best friend Tristen Ikaika sent me a congratulatory video for my high school graduation. But here’s the short version of why I love this brand.

LG has inspired me to be my authentic self, and each piece that I’ve purchased reflects a part of who I am. The “text me when you get home” hoodie, for example, represents the “mom” and enneagram 2 in me. My most recent purchase, the Lonely University sweatshirt, is a reminder of why I chose to go to college. It reminds me that I went to college to pursue my dreams, step out of my comfort zone, and I wanted to use my education to help land my dream job of becoming the Head of Digital Media at a Fashion Magazine Company.

My first LG piece was from my best friend, Grace Haugen. The iconic “I love you say it back” shirt reminds me of all the love I am constantly giving to others.

Grace, a Junior at SPU, said, “I think the reason I love LG the most is the amazing woman who started it. Indy Blue is adventurous, inclusive, inspiring, and refreshingly real”. 

Austin Ibale, a Sophomore at SPU, also admired Indy’s authenticity. “She seems so genuine, personable, and sentimental that you can just see the heart that she has through her videography, photography, meaningful posts, and…her company”.

After two successful years for the company and one empty bank account for myself, I now own eight different LG pieces, which have all helped spark conversations, meet new friends, and most importantly, feel the most “me” I’ve felt in a while.

1. We’re Not Really Strangers (WNRS)

Started by Koreen, a model and artist, WNRS is a platform and card game with the purpose “to bring more meaningful connections to everyday life”.

Not only is their page aesthetically pleasing to look at, but this page also inspires you to get to know the real and authentic version of someone else, as well as to discover the real you.

I am such a “get to know you” gal, that this game speaks my love language! 

Makena Rietz, a Junior at SPU, said, “The first time I had the opportunity to spend time with Taylor was also the first time I ever had the chance to play the WNRS card game. I knew a little bit about Taylor, but not a lot. By the end of the game, I felt like I had known Taylor for years”. “The questions and prompts that the game suggested created [a] really genuine conversation. It made me think about myself and my life, while I simultaneously got to know someone that I now adore even more”.

Lizzy Carlson, a Sophomore at SPU, also admired the brand. “I believe that the company WNRS has the potential to totally revitalize our generation socially and emotionally”. She even praised the results that the card game had on herself. “The after-effects on the friendships are incredible. Friend groups get to know each other on a much deeper level, and especially right now with COVID keeping friends apart, this game can be super useful in reconnecting friends”. 

She also explained that “In a day-and-age where ‘getting deep’ with your friends or peers is seen as taboo or embarrassing, I really appreciate this company for flipping that idea and making it known how important it is to stay connected with friends & how incredibly valuable it is to really see the heart of someone else!”.

1. All Things Utensils (ATU)

Cara Hiroyasu is a freshman at SPU, the creator behind ATU, and did I mention, my sister?! 

Now, the company name says it all. Cara finds antique utensils that were once used for eating, and turns them into rings that you can wear.

Cara says, “ATU stems from my love of art and creating, and it has been the biggest blessing that I have found a career that allows me to be able to express myself artistically”.“I see ATU more as a platform for me to share the things that I love with the people that I love, more than a job”.

Cara is so involved with her brand that she hand makes every spoon ring, posts her own content, communicates with her customers, and makes all of her merch. 

“While this can be stressful, I honestly couldn’t imagine it any other way. Because I am so involved with every process, I truly believe that it allows people to see the love that goes into making ATU, ATU,” she said.

Hannah Rogers, a freshman at SPU, said, “Cara is one of the most creative and dedicated people I’ve ever met! ATU is something she is so passionate about, and she really cares about connecting herself to her brand”.

Since starting in April of 2019, the company has already been so successful that it’s sold rings to customers in 22 different states and one internationally. 

Landry Spurlock, a freshman at the University of Arkansas, said, “In high school when Cara started ATU I knew it would end up big, and it did! Her dedication and love for her customers are what make ATU different from anything like it!!”

Leielle Sallinger, a freshman at Colorado Christian University, also complimented Cara’s work. “My ATU rings are my favorite rings, not only because they are cool and unique, but because they come from a small business with a big heart”.

I hope you can tell how much I love each one of these businesses, as well as how much other people do as well. While each business is unique, I believe that they all have a common theme of sharing things that they love while also being authentically real.

Mentioned Instagram Businesses:

1. Lonely Ghost: @lonelyghost.co – Founder: @indyblue_

2. Were Not Really Strangers: @werenotreallystrangers – Founder: @koreen

3. All Things Utensils: @allthingsutensils – Founder: @carahiroyasu

Taylor is a senior at Seattle Pacific University, studying Communications and Digital Media. Her dreams of becoming the head of the social media department for a fashion magazine, have inspired her to write for her schools Her Campus chapter. In her spare time she loves videography, shopping, cheering, and she’s always down for an adventure. Find her on Instagram @taylorhiroyasu.