Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

Single? Valentine’s Day Can Be Your Holiday Anyway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, which traditionally means couples get together and do all their cute coupley things, while us single people are meant to sit at home sad and lonely. But it doesn’t have to be that way. I’ve gone 19 years without a valentine, but February 14th still manages to be one of my favorite days of the year. Now you might be wondering, Maya, what on earth can you possibly enjoy about a holiday that is so obviously not meant for you? Well I’ll tell you.

Valentine’s day is all about love, and there are so many different expressions of love, we’re holding out on ourselves if we choose to focus exclusively on romantic love. I want you to think about all the people in your life that you love at this moment. The people who support you, make you laugh, care about you unconditionally, let you cry on their shoulders, and that you know will always be there. Why not let Valentine’s day be a day where you let these people know how much they mean to you? What better way to do this than to host a Valentine’s day party.

Your first step is the guest list. Your loved ones in romantic relationships might  be unavailable, but others who make you happy and you enjoy spending time with may be available. This can be your friends, your siblings, literally anyone you love. Send out your invitations, if they’re single, chances are they’ll be free. 

After you’ve decided who’s going to be there, it’s time to start thinking about food and drinks. No party is a good party without something to eat or drink. Now you can make a reservation to go out, but restaurants on Valentine’s day are always a nightmare. You can opt for take out, or do the cooking yourself, but personally I always love a good potluck. Have everyone bring their favorite dish (make sure you have a variety of main courses, appetizers, and deserts) and you have plenty of food without putting too much stress on one individual or wallet. 

Of course, you can’t forget about the drinks. If you’re above the legal drinking age, some champagne or wine is always a classic choice, but if you want to do something a bit more creative try some Valentine’s day cocktails that are sure to get the party started. If alcohol isn’t an option, sparkling cider never fails to please a crowd, or spice things up with some themed mocktails

Now that we’ve got food and drinks under control, it’s time to set the vibe with some decor and music. Of course, this will depend on the kind of party you want to throw, but I personally enjoy something more chill and classic. I always throw up some Christmas or fairy lights to create soft lighting. A couple vases of flowers are a nice touch. Obviously you’ll want a few candles to add to the ambience. Honestly, you don’t need much more than that, but feel free to be as extra as you want, this is your day after all. 

Music can really set the tone of an evening, so don’t take your playlist choice too lightly. For me, I love old romantic music, so that’s what I’ll have playing in the background. If that’s you too, I’ve created the perfect playlist that you can find here. However, if romantic music is just too much for you on Valentines day, not to worry, there are plenty of non-love playlists you can find on spotify. 

So we’ve covered invitations, food, drinks, decor, and music. One last optional finishing touch is gifts. Gifts are the perfect way to show your appreciation for the people you love. It can be something as small as a piece of chocolate or some flowers. It can be an inside joke or something you know they wanted. It can be a heartfelt letter or a list of all the things you love about them. Anything that makes them feel seen and cherished. No matter what it is, if it’s coming from a genuine place in your heart, I’m sure whoever is receiving it will adore it. 

All you need now is to make it happen, and I promise you will not be disappointed. It may not seem like Valentine’s day is your day, but you can make it your day. Love (all forms of it) is meant to be celebrated. The lack of a significant other shouldn’t imply that you miss out on that. Take advantage of this opportunity to love and be loved by the people you value, and you will never have a sad or lonely Valentine’s day again.

I am currently a junior at Seattle Pacific University pursuing a double major in Sociology and Social Justice. I grew up in rural Colorado, but have found my home here on the west coast. This is my third year as a member of Her Campus, and my first year taking on a leadership role within the SPU chapter. I have also devoted my time to SPU's independent, student run newspaper creating social media content.