This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

This spring break is unlike any other. Instead of hopping on a plane headed to your favorite tropical destination, perhaps, this year, you’re being extra safe with COVID-19 and are instead having a staycation right in your home.

If so, what better way than to spend spring break indulged in a new favorite tv show.

So, grab some popcorn and your favorite cozy blanket and get ready to get sucked into my top five favorite shows I’ve recently watched on Netflix. 

Let me just put it out there and say that I’ve become the go-to roommate for TV show recommendations. I think my roommates would testify that these shows are not going to disappoint. 

Imposters

I’ll start off by saying that over Christmas break my mom and I stayed up until two in the morning binge-watching this show and we finished the two seasons in two days! No joke. 

So, what’s the hype all about? Let me tell you.

The main character Maddie is a con-artist who manipulates her significant others (yes, plural) into getting married and then disappears with their money. 

Talk about a hook. 

When I came back to Seattle after the break, I was raving about how good the show was to my roommates and my roommate Kaila had nothing but good things to say about it.

“It had an intriguing plot with clever twists continuously throughout. I was instantly hooked as the show combined action, drama, and comedy into every episode,” she said.

Ginny & Georgia

I have to admit something…my roommates, Kaila and Grace, were the first to get me hooked on this show, but I will say that I was the first to finish! 

Actually, once I got hooked in, my other roommate Delaney started watching and we decided to all watch the last episode together. Roommate goals, for sure. 

Delaney said, “I started watching because all of my housemates were, and I was pleasantly surprised! At first, I expected it to be similar to Gilmore Girls based on the description, but there were lots of unique surprises throughout that made it really engaging. It can definitely be cheesy at times, but I’d say it’s worth a watch!”.

So, you’re probably wondering, what the heck is this show about?

Well, the storyline is about a mother named Georgia Miller who just moved to a new town with her two kids, Ginny and Austin. Soon, things from Georgia’s past start to unravel, Austin struggles with this new transition, and Ginny, well, she falls in love and begins uncovering her mother’s secrets.

In The Dark

The plot of this show is truly what’s going to get you sucked in. 

The premise of the show is about a blind woman, named Murphy Mason who gets caught in the middle of a murder just after her best friend turns up dead.

If that doesn’t already make you want to watch this show, I don’t know what will.

You might even be wondering, how does that even happen? Well, you’re definitely going to have to watch to find out. 

This show is full of humor and romance and it’s definitely going to make you want to stay up all night so you can get some answers. And there’s two-season available, so you better get comfy and let all of your friends know why you will be MIA for a bit.

Actually, three of my roommates ended up watching the show, and my roommate Anna said one of the reasons she loved the show was because it was based in Chicago, where she grew up.

She also said, “I really like the show because it has made me think about the world in a way that my lived experience doesn’t. There’s a good balance of humor and exciting twists and turns.”

Firefly Lane

I think it’s safe to say that when I get hooked into a show it takes me about two days to finish and that’s exactly how many days it took me to finish Firefly Lane!

This show is about two best friends, Tully and Kate, and their 30-year friendship. Both ladies studied journalism in college, actually at the University of Washington, and one ends up with a successful career, while the other finds love and has a child of her own.

In fact, the show is based on the novel written by Kristin Hannah that highlights her childhood in Snohomish, Washington during the 1970s.

Once I was a quarter of the way into the season, my roommate Grace started watching and she said, “Firefly Lane is fun, captivating, and real. It is able to simultaneously keep you on the edge of your seat by wondering what will happen next and also by portraying the real and raw challenges and difficulties that people face in life”.

Virgin River

Okay, I have to confess that I have yet to get any of my roommates to watch this show, but I will get one of them hooked…one day. 

Anyways, this show is based on the 22 novel series written by Robyn Carr. It tells the story of a woman named Mel Monroe who leaves Los Angeles and moves to a small fictional town, called Virgin River, in Northern California to create a fresh start as a nurse practitioner. When she arrives, she ends up meeting a certain someone, is surprised about what she finds out about, and deals with some troubling things from her past.

Overall, this show is emotional, it’s romantic, it keeps you wanting to watch for hours. And guess what, this show has two seasons out, so you will be busy watching for days…but if  you’re anything like me, you’ll just pull an all-nighter and see how far you get in one night.

I hope this list of shows keeps you laughing, crying, busy, and entertained like I was when watching these shows! If you’re going to be at home, grab your siblings, parents, significant other, or better yet, your dog and get ready to get sucked into these shows!

Taylor is a senior at Seattle Pacific University, studying Communications and Digital Media. Her dreams of becoming the head of the social media department for a fashion magazine, have inspired her to write for her schools Her Campus chapter. In her spare time she loves videography, shopping, cheering, and she’s always down for an adventure. Find her on Instagram @taylorhiroyasu.