My (Spoiler Free) Pitch For Malibu Rising to Be Your Next Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you want to be a reader but have no idea where to start. Luckily, I stumbled upon the perfect book for new readers to get you started. I’m not kidding, this book will have you HOOKED. I’m such a slow reader and I finished it in two days!

I present to you, Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid!

Quick synopsis to get you started! If you’ve read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo also by Reid, you may remember Evelyn’s third husband, superstar Mick Riva. Malibu Rising follows the life of Mick Riva’s kids, Nina, Kit, Jay, and Hud. 

The book switches between timelines– when Mick first met his first wife June, and present day, where their kids are now. Nina, the oldest, is a model and surfer who recently divorced a famous golfer, Brandon Randall. Jay, the second oldest, is a fellow surfer, who is often seen with the third oldest, Hud, a surf photographer. Lastly, we meet the youngest, Kit, a full time student about to start junior year of college. 

Guess what? Tonight is the annual Riva end-of-summer party, and this book is your invitation! This party is absolutely legendary; all the biggest celebrities are there, leaving the tabloids with content to last them till the next year. 

One thing I love about this book is the theme of self acceptance and taking back the power those who wronged you still hold over you. The  character who we see this theme mainly present in is Nina. She starts off the book apprehensive to host this party, worried she will see her ex-husband, but as the night progresses, we see her take back the power Brandon took from her when he left. 

This book is 384 pages, which seems very intimidating, but it’s a true page turner. The character development doesn’t feel forced, which is great, and the switching between timelines surprisingly isn’t confusing! I normally struggle with books that switch perspectives or time periods, but Jenkins Reid definitely has a strength for this style of writing. 

Not gonna lie, I’m not the best at book pitches, but this book honestly sells itself! I can guarantee you I will be re-reading Malibu Rising this summer, and I hope you will too!

Hi! I'm Emma (she/her) and I am the senior editor for SPU's chapter of Her Campus! This is my third year as a member of Her Campus, as well as my third year being an editor/writer!