This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Dear Freshman Cass, 

Girl, you will love college, but let me give you a little advice and some reassurance. First of all, why in the world did you think having 8:00 AM classes 4 days a week was a good idea? You are going to regret it so please do us a favor and change your schedule. 

Now that that has been said, you are going to learn so much it’s actually insane. I am not just talking about your classes. You will learn from so many people, you will hear new perspectives, and most importantly you will figure out who you are and who you want to be. You haven’t met them all yet but at this school you will make the best friends you have ever had. That girl you sit by in the front row of General Biology 1 will become one of your best friends who you will vent about Biochemistry to your senior year. The girl down the hall from you will be your roommate for 2 years and your housemate for another 1. The girl who walks up and introduces herself to you at Common Grounds during orientation will keep you on your toes for the next 3.5 years in the best way. And these girls are just the ones you meet this year. Over the next 3 years you will find your people. These people will challenge you, accept you, make you laugh till your stomach hurts, and sit with you when you are hurting. I know you are nervous about meeting new friends, but it turns out we did pretty damn good. 

I am not kidding when I say you will have some of the best professors in the whole entire world. I am still confused as to how these people are so freaking smart. Forget all the scary things that your high school teachers told you about college professors. These professors honestly care about you and want you to succeed so badly. Don’t get me wrong, they will push you, but I promise you will make it out alive. One of your General Biology professors will teach you so much about evolutionary biology and it will blow your mind. This is the same professor whose house you will go to once a week for the best Bible study in the Pacific Northwest (probably). Don’t get me wrong, you won’t love absolutely every professor you have here, obviously, but wow does SPU have some good ones. 

And now to the random bits of advice that are just as important. First, don’t sleep on the study tables for Biology and Chemistry. The tutors there are literally from heaven and will save your a** on multiple occasions (same goes for the Organic Chemistry TA Sessions but that’s not till next year). Second, don’t be intimidated to go to the gym in Royal Brougham. Looking back, I wish I had gone there more than twice. Third, you do not need the highest meal plan! You will not go to Gwinn three times every single day. Get a smaller one that has more Falcon Funds for your inevitable coffee addiction. Finally, college is going to push you and you are going to feel it. I want you to know that every freshman is feeling the exact same way. College is tough. But as I think back to where you are right now and all the things that you will learn, the places you will see, and the people you will meet over the next three years it is pretty damn incredible. 

You will love it here, I promise.

Love,  Senior-About-To-Graduate Cass

Cassidy Bianchi-Rossi is a physiology student at Seattle Pacific University minoring in chemistry. She loves to drink coffee, talk about her dogs, and watch sports and Netflix.