Hero NEW?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero NEW?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Design

How to React, Cope, and Handle Election Day 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

We’ve finally made it to Election Day 2020. The day that loomed in the shadows for weeks, months, and years is here. The year of 2020 has been a turbulent ride and there are still 2 more months until we reach 2021. Election Day 2020 may be one of the most significant elections in history as Americans around the nation sit on the edge of their seats waiting for results. 

Anxiety around November 3rd has been steadily growing as COVID-19 led to mail-in voting and President Trump has made concerning statements regarding the results of the election. To help guide you through the election, here are some healthy ways to cope, react, and handle this tumultuous day. 

A big stressor regarding the 2020 Election is the potential delay in results, since many have switched to mail-in voting. To help ease your anxieties, remember that this election may not be called as early as previous elections. 

With the increase of voters heading to the polls and drop-boxes early, there is hope that results will not be delayed by too much. Tonight during nationwide news reporting regarding the election, news officials must handle “calling winners” carefully, as ballots are being counted and reported. Some states will start reporting numbers with ballots postmarked Nov. 3rd, while others will report what they have already counted. 

These variances will make projections a little more difficult to decide. News organizations can make mistakes and first-calls are not always accurate, so don’t chew off your fingernails when Fox News gives states to Trump early in the evening. In typical election years, official results don’t nearly come the night of election day and are typically delayed up to a month from when electors cast their official votes. 

Many social media platforms may circulate drinking games and other ways to follow along with Election night coverage. Although it may seem fun to play along with the “take a sip when…”, it could lead to blurred memories of such a significant night. Other than drinking, there are several other coping mechanisms we can use to distract ourselves from the chaos.

Go for a walk or take a break from your screens to calm down. Alexa Mieses Malchuk, M.D., M.P.H, physician and professor at UNC Chapel Hill, suggests that people have generally developed ways to cope and deal with stress. She continues on and states, “But this is election night and this one in particular is centered around issues that hit very, very close to home for a lot of people. It’s a time to use coping mechanisms that aren’t going to make the distress any worse,” said Malchuk. 

In addition to traditional methods to cope with stress, it is important to manage and monitor screen time. Many suggest giving yourself a small break, whether that be a walk, a bathroom break, or something to relieve yourself for a few minutes. 

In such an unprecedented time, it is most important to keep yourself in mind.  This could mean practicing self-care or doing whatever you know is best for your body. This election and its results dictate 4 years and potentially other lasting effects. The emotions that arise are valid,but remember to use these calming techniques to help process the results.

Kayti Christian, a writer at The Good Trade, an online newsletter site, reminds us to “Be kind and carve out more space for self-care than usual. Consider taking time away from the news and social media. It is okay to take a break, to retreat to nature, and to spend a few days crying or celebrating virtually with friends. To avoid political fatigue and to keep fighting for the causes we care about, we must allow ourselves moments to step away and breathe.”

Tori McArthur is a Journalism and Sociology major at Seattle Pacific University. She loves to travel and lives by Indy Blue's mantra of "creating the life you want." You can probably find her at a thrift store in Seattle with a coffee in hand.