This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

At every university, there is a certain style, a certain culture and a certain air to the way people dress. Going to a liberal arts school tucked away in a Seattle neighborhood means that SPUdents generally wear urban, relaxed clothing. Taking influences from favorite bands and outdoors activities, SPUdents are fully embracing the current trend of athleisure. Lots of layering, warm textures, and you cant forget hoods! (Okay, so it doesn’t rain as much as you think, but we would never want to be caught carrying an umbrella.)

I broke down what I thought the top 16 pieces are, in order to dress like a SPUdent. Here’s a clue: think neutral colors, mainly black, and functional fashion.

1. Black down puffy jacket

It’s functional, warm and black. After all, dark colors are needed to match the grey days of Seattle winters.

2. Nikes

These can easily be swapped with New Balance sneakers to fully embrace the atheleisure look.

3. Black leggings

I mean, what girl doesn’t have a pair of Lululemon leggings?

4. Distressed jeans

I tend to think of boyfriend jeans when I think of the jeans that are worn at SPU. Regardless, this is a trend that you can translate into any style you like; distressed flared jeans, distressed skinny jeans etc.

5. Herschel backpack

Gone are the days of the North Face backpacks we used to carry. This is much hipper. Plus, how else would you carry your hammock on your next hike to lake 22?

6. Patagonia jacket

Patagonia really took the school by storm last year in 2015 and I still see remnants of this fad. Patagonia fleeces, Patagonia hats or better yet, a Patagonia down vest.

7. Flannel

Pretty sure wearing a flannel is a right of passage at SPU. Are you even a student if you don’t own one?

8. Black Chelsea boot

Once again it’s black, it’s easy and it doesn’t require a high heel. SPU students aren’t ones for dressing up.

9. Beanie

You’ve got to cover your hair from the rain somehow! Plus, it instantly makes you look more hip.

10. Long striped shirt

Notoriously worn under sweaters for a nice laid back, layered look.

11. Outdoorsy or band crew neck

Another right of passage at SPU is being a music lover. Better yet, playing an instrument. Regardless you’ve got to show how hip you are based on your band t’s and outdoorsy sweatshirts.

12. Glasses

“Nerd glasses” have slowly evolved into “hipster glasses”.

13. Black jeans with knee slits

This fashion trend has been seen everywhere, not just at SPU but it works well with the urban, slightly grunge vibe here.

14. Green winter jacket

This is one of those items that almost everyone has and has become quite a staple piece.

15. Oversized Sweater

It’s cozy and you can totally sleep in it and get away with rolling out of bed and running to class. What’s better than that?!

16. Birkenstocks

Ah, the infamous Birkenstock. It’s best worn with fun printed socks tucked into leggings. Maybe not the most fashionable choice, but it is athleisure after all.  

Fashion Merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University going into my junior year. I am publicist for SPU MODE Fashion Group, work at a local boutique and have my own style blog. City girl at heart who loves stripes, macarons and anything fashion related.
Hello world! I am Samantha, and I'm a junior Journalism major and Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design minor at Seattle Pacific University. I was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, and lived there for 16 years before moving to the PNW. I competed in figure skating for 16 years, and now teach students of all ages how to figure skate. I am is also greatly involved in the Seattle Dance community, performing on three different dance companies including Breed Seattle, Westlake Dance Theater/Twisted Elegance, and Ante-Up Performance Group. I am currently the President of an up-and-coming club at the University, Ante-Up Dance Club, that is greatly involved in on and off campus events. I love anything and everything fitness, fashion, and dance related.