Halloween Makeup Inspiration by Amanda

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Who knew that SPU had a stage makeup class? I didn’t until talking with Amanda last year while she was currently enrolled in the course. Amanda Allegras is a junior this year at SPU majoring in Sociology, but aside from studying human behavior she also adores acting and doing makeup. While most of us struggle to get an even eyeliner-wing, make up is something that comes naturally to Amanda since she has been doing it her whole life. I got to ask her a few questions involving her artistic passions and how she is applying them to our on-campus event Hallowscream happening this Friday night October 30th.

What inspired you to take a stage makeup class?

“I’ve always been interested in acting, ever since I was in preschool.  It’s a hobby that I’ve always enjoyed.  For almost every role I’ve had, I’ve also done most of my own make up. Particularly memorable was when I played the Wicked Witch in my high school’s performance of The Wizard of Oz, and I had to smear myself with green paint before every show.  So when I saw the course listing at SPU, I figured I might as well learn the right way to do what I’d already been doing for years.”

Will you be doing makeup effects on yourself for Halloween?

“Yes!  I’ve already been practicing a slit throat effect with liquid latex, tissue, and a whole lot of fake blood.  I’ll be doing my 11 year old brother’s Halloween make-up as well, since he wants to be a zombie.  This will be especially fun because it gives me room to play around with latex, scar wax, and face-painting.  I can make a really cool zombie bite with scar wax!”

What do you enjoy about acting?

“I love being able to step into the shoes of another person, really becoming someone else and seeing the world through their eyes.  I also love the exchange of energy that takes place between the actor and the audience.  The adrenaline keeps you going for days.  Theatre as an art form is something really special.  There’s nothing like it.”

Is acting something you want to pursue as a career in the future?

“I don’t think I’ll pursue acting as a career, but it’s certainly something I want to do throughout my life.  Last year, I had the opportunity to go back to my old school and teach some acting workshops to the kids.  I loved being able to inspire them and teach them some of the tools of the trade I’ve picked up over the years.  This is something I could see myself doing.  And speaking of horror stage make up, it’s my secret dream to someday run a really fantastic haunted house!”

What is your role at hallowscream?

“I’m volunteering as an actor.  I’ve always loved ambient horror more than jump scares, so I’ll probably be standing in a dark hallway trying to up the creepiness factor as much as possible.  I’ve also volunteered to do some creepy make up effects.” 

In your opinion, is “hallowscream” as terrifying as an actual haunted house off campus?

“To be honest, I couldn’t tell you.  I grew up in Guatemala where Halloween is not celebrated, so I haven’t been to any haunted houses other than Hallowscream.  However, I do know that everyone involved puts a lot of work into it, and we got a lot of people screaming last year.  I guess people should come and see for themselves!”

Can you tell us what you will be wearing at hallowscream? If so, what is it?

“The theme this year is a haunted hotel.  My plan is to dress up as a hotel maid with a ghostly white face and dripping slit throat.  It should be fun!”

Well, thanks to Amanda we have a sneak peek at this year’s Hallo-Scream event as well as some spooky Halloween makeup inspiration! If you decide to attend Hallowscream, beware of the girl with awesome makeup effects – I have a feeling she will be one of the scariest!

Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com