Groceries That Get Delivered Straight to Your Door

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

As much as I wish I could say that “this article is sponsored by HelloFresh”, it’s not. I just genuinely love getting delicious new meals sent straight to my front door.

For those who are unfamiliar with the company, HelloFresh is a meal kit subscription delivery service that aims to reduce the amount of food waste you’d typically spend grocery shopping. Each week, HelloFresh sends you a box of pre-proportioned ingredients that allow you to become the chef and prepare meals on your own. 

As a college student living in Seattle, I regularly spend about $60 on groceries a week. I try my best to make a meal plan and gather a list of the items that I’ll need from the store, but oftentimes, I forget something or run out of it.

What’s so nice about HelloFresh is that I get to choose my meals and delivery dates. I can also skip weeks whenever I’m away. I’ve cut down on wasting food. All while spending the same amount of money just as if I went to the store.

HelloFresh comes with six different types of meal plans to choose from: meat & veggies, veggie, family-friendly, calorie smart, quick and easy, and pescatarian. Each meal comes labeled in its own bag with specific instructions and nutritional information.

I will say that recently, I’ve been seeing tons of ads on social media and have watched many YouTube videos where influencers get sent their box and hype the company up, but I was always skeptical to try it for some reason. I always thought it was too expensive or too good to be true, but it turns out that this service is perfect for someone like me!

I finally took the plunge of subscribing to HelloFresh because my mom started it a month ago and convinced me to do the same. Just the other week, she sent me a free box to see if I’d like it. Since this was free, I wasn’t able to choose my specific meals and was only allowed to choose the meal plan I wanted. I chose the calorie smart meal plan and got to make Mediterranean baked veggies, creamy dill chicken, and gnocchi with spinach and tomatoes. I’ve never tried couscous and gnocchi before but let me just say, gnocchi has now become one of my favorite meals and it’s so easy to make. 

I had also assumed that HelloFresh was meant for families and not for a college student like me. But it’s not. At the beginning of the week, I get three meals that are intended for two people. This meal plan allows me to have leftovers for the next day and other meals for the whole week!

Even though I love watching the Food Network shows, I’m still no expert chef. With HelloFresh though, I’ve actually been able to learn how to make delicious meals and cook new foods that I’ve always been scared to try. 

While HelloFresh has yet to accommodate those who are gluten-free, allergy-free, and on diet plans such as keto or vegan, I still appreciate that many of their ingredients are farm-to-table ingredients, which means the foods come straight to our door from farms around town. 

If you’re looking to cut down food waste, try new foods, and learn how to cook, this might be perfect for you too! I even have some free boxes to give away so definitely reach out to me if you’re down to try!

Taylor is a senior at Seattle Pacific University, studying Communications and Digital Media. Her dreams of becoming the head of the social media department for a fashion magazine, have inspired her to write for her schools Her Campus chapter. In her spare time she loves videography, shopping, cheering, and she’s always down for an adventure. Find her on Instagram @taylorhiroyasu.