Female Authors to Celebrate for this International Women’s Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

To celebrate March being Women’s History Month and March 8th being International Women’s Day, here are six of my favorite female authors and their books that I recommend you read. Each of these authors writes incredible stories that draw you in and depict strong women characters.

Ali Hazelwood

Originally from Italy, Ali Hazelwood moved to the U.S. to pursue a Ph.D. in neuroscience. Until the past year, Ali Hazelwood has worked as a professor of neuroscience. Creative writing started as a hobby for her but after her fan fiction became popular, she started writing full books. Her books have become very well-liked, landing multiple on the New York Times Bestseller List. Most of her books fall into the “STEMinist” romance fiction, but her most recent novel is a paranormal romance between a vampire and a werewolf. All of her books have strong female characters that typically work in male-dominated fields. 

Recommended reads: Bride and Love Theoretically 

Celeste Ng

The daughter of scientists who immigrated to the U.S., Celeste Ng grew up in Pennsylvania and Ohio. She studied English at Harvard and received her MFA in Creative Writing at the University of Michigan. In 2014 she grew in fame when her debut novel Everything I Never Told You was published. The book quickly rose to the top of the charts. She has won numerous awards for her various books. Celeste Ng is known for her well-developed characters and her ability to tell stories dealing with difficult topics such as tough family dynamics and privilege. 

Recommended Reads: Little Fires Everywhere and Everything I Never Told You 

Rebecca F. Kuang

Rebecca F. Kuang, who publishes as R.F. Kuang, immigrated from China to the U.S. when she was four. Kuang has an extensive education. She obtained a bachelor’s degree in history from Georgetown University, a Master of Philosophy in Chinese Studies from Cambridge, and a Master of Science in Contemporary Chinese Studies from Oxford. She is now working on her Ph.D. in East Asian Languages and Literatures at Yale University. She rose in popularity after writing the first book in The Poppy War trilogy. She has an interesting way of examining complex topics such as colonialism and racism through fantasy storytelling. In her most recent book, Yellowface, she pivots away from the fantasy genre while still portraying themes of race and representation. 

Recommended Reads: Yellowface and The Poppy War trilogy

Sally Rooney

Born and raised in Ireland, Sally Rooney attended Trinity College Dublin where she obtained a degree in English. Her debut novel was Conversations with Friends, which follows two women and their complex relationships with each other and their friends. The novel that she is most famous for is Normal People. Sally Rooney gained popularity after this book was adapted into a miniseries. The series was highly acclaimed and received multiple award nominations. Sally Rooney’s ability to tell a character-driven story with complex relationships is unmatched. Themes including class, identity, and the complex aspect of love make a recurring appearance in all her books. 

Recommended Reads: Conversations With Friends and Beautiful World Where Are You 

Sarah J. Maas

Growing up in Manhattan, Sarah J. Maas then went on to study creative writing at Hamilton College. Her debut novel, Throne of Glass, catapulted her to fame. This book was only the beginning as the series now has eight books and she has released two additional series in the same realm. Her other two series are A Court of Thornes and Roses which currently has five books and Crescent City which currently has three books. Maas has taken over the fantasy genre with every book of hers making the bestseller charts. All three of her book series have strong female leads. Sarah J. Maas can tell a story that despite being fantasy, the reader can still find ways to relate and see themselves in her characters. 

Recommended Reads: Throne of Glass and A Court of Thornes and Roses 

Taylor Jenkins Reid 

Taylor Jenkins Reid began her career in the film industry before getting her first book deal for her debut novel, Forever Interrupted. She began her writing career with various romance novels before pivoting to historical fiction books. Her recent books Daisy Jones and the Six, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and Carrie Soto is Back, are all based on real women including Stevie Nicks, Elizabeth Taylor, and famous women athletes. She tells stories depicting the challenges that women face in their respective careers. 
Recommended Reads: Daisy Jones and The Six and Carrie Soto is Back

Hello! I am a student at Seattle Pacific University majoring in Economics and Applied Math. I am originally from Olympia, Washington. I love to read, write, and hang out with my dogs.