Creating the Life You Want Through Vision Boards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

We have entered the new year which probably means you have new goals that you want to achieve! Like many of you, I tend to stick to my New Year’s Resolutions for a while, but then get lazy and don’t follow through. It happens. I totally get it. 

But what if I told you that I found a new way that truly helps turn my dreams into my reality? Yes, that sounds so cheesy. But trust me. It works.

Want to know how I’m working towards creating the life I want?

The answer: Making a vision board.

‘Vision-boards’ are a physical way to showcase the direction you want to move in your life. Even celebrities like Oprah, Reese Witherspoon, Steve Harvey, and Ellen Degeneres make them!

It turns out that putting your goals down on paper helps you visualize them in action which then helps you achieve them.

According to Psychology Today, “mental practice [like visualization] are almost [as] effective as true physical practice”. Crazy, right?

I started making vision boards in 2018. I was heavily inspired by Radio Talk Show Co-Host, Tanya Rad who first introduced me to the concept. Since then, I’ve been making a new vision board every year. I started out making vision boards digitally, but this year I’m going all in and making a physical copy. 

As a fun and safe quarantine activity to do with my roommates, I thought it’d be fun to have a little girl’s night and each make our own vision boards for the year! What I love about this is that we are all going to be able to hold each other accountable and push ourselves to achieve our goals.

SPU Junior, Kaila Ebeling shared her expectations of the project. She said, “I’ve never made a vision board before, but I’m excited to go through the process and see the outcome.”            

So, here’s how it went down. 

First, you’ll need to gather all the supplies. You’ll need magazines, paper, scissors, markers, glue or tape, and your laptop (optional or just in case you want to print anything out).

After you have your supplies you’re going to want to do some self-reflection. Write down some goals you have this year. These goals can be within your relationships, work, school, travel, personal growth, spirituality, health, etc. Also, think of your personal mantra or word for 2021. 

Maybe there are some things you want to try or stuff you want to save up for. Or maybe there’s a specific area in your life that you want to change. Whatever it is, write it down. By doing this, you’ll have an idea of what images and saying you’re looking for throughout your magazines.

Junior Anna Dischinger described what it was like making the vision board. She said, “I felt inspired and creative. I kinda felt like I was choosing my destiny.”

And remember, this vision board is designed specifically for you. You get to put anything you want on your board and you get to determine what those pictures mean. If you think you can somehow mess this up or ruin your board, you are wrong. There is no such thing as a bad vision board.

Next, you can turn on your favorite jams and start hunting for those pictures! This part typically takes the longest. After you start building your collection of photos and sayings, begin arranging them on a separate piece of paper, this will become your background. I even taped two pieces of printer paper together to make my vision board big enough and easy to read.

Delaney Chase explained the purpose of why she chose some of the images to put on her board. She said, “I added the typewriter and guitar because one of my goals for this year is to start songwriting! It’s always been something I have avoided throughout my years of playing guitar because I worried they wouldn’t turn out perfect the first time; however this year, I want to let my creativity flow and trust the process!”

Once you’re happy with your layout, glue or tape all your cut-outs onto the page. 

Congratulations you have just made a vision board. This is your first step towards creating the life you want and deserve to have.

This next step is important. You need to display your vision board somewhere you can see it. The key is to be able to see your vision board daily and as often as possible. 

I’d recommend putting your board on places like your refrigerator door, your bathroom mirror, your bedroom. If you decide to create your board digitally you can even make it your phone or cell phone background. Whatever you choose, make you put it somewhere you can see it!

“Making vision boards was such a therapeutic and fun activity. Afterward, I felt relaxed and excited to pursue my goals and dreams for this year! I am going to hang my vision board somewhere I can see it every day, to remind myself what I want to accomplish and the attitude I want to carry into each day,” said Grace Haugen, a Junior at SPU. 

And “Voila!”. You’re done. Now it’s time to start making those changes. Start manifesting and transforming into a better you.

Taylor is a senior at Seattle Pacific University, studying Communications and Digital Media. Her dreams of becoming the head of the social media department for a fashion magazine, have inspired her to write for her schools Her Campus chapter. In her spare time she loves videography, shopping, cheering, and she’s always down for an adventure. Find her on Instagram @taylorhiroyasu.