New York Coffee Shop
New York Coffee Shop
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

It’s almost midterms, and you know what that means. It’s time to get your study game on! Sometimes it’s nice to mix up where you study, and coffee shops are some of my favorite places to do so. But with the pandemic, it’s hard to know where you’ll actually be able to sit down. So, I visited some of SPU’s favorite coffee shops to tell you the best places to study and get your caffeine fix.

Fremont Coffee Company

This charming coffee shop is in an old house on 36th street, right in the heart of Fremont. If you like the Fremont vibe, then this place is definitely for you. The baristas are super friendly, and they are usually playing fun music! They have indoor and outdoor seating, free Wi-Fi, and gender-neutral bathrooms. My favorite thing about this shop is their latte art — mine was in the shape of a dog! And, if you love pumpkin spice, they make a mean pumpkin spice latte. They also serve pastries, breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches. If you aren’t a coffee fan, they also have a large assortment of teas and Italian sodas. Overall, this shop is a great place to study, meet up with a friend (masked of course!) or spend some time by yourself while drinking delicious coffee.

Café Con Todo

This coffee shop is a little further down 36th street from Fremont Coffee Company. Usually this is an SPU favorite because of the hammocks they have set up, however since COVID-19 hit, they have taken them down. But they still have plenty of tables and free Wi-Fi for you to use to study! This shop is full of plants and is very warm inside, so heading into the colder months this might be a good place for you to hang out. Their espresso has a very rich flavor, so depending on your preference, you may or may not enjoy their espresso drinks. If strong espresso isn’t for you, don’t worry! They also have healthy smoothies, fresh brewed teas and other non-espresso drinks like matcha and chai lattes. Café Con Todo serves brunch items such as pastries, breakfast burritos, salads and avocado toast. This is another great option for studying, but be sure to get there before they close at 2 p.m.!

S&L Café

S&L is located on McGraw street in Queen Anne. This is a super cute café with a diverse menu. They serve boba after 11 a.m. in addition to their coffee and tea drinks. I ordered the sea salt cream cold brew, and it was genuinely one of the best coffees I’ve ever had. They have basic espresso drinks as well as hot and iced tea, golden milk and matcha lattes. Besides their drink menu, they also serve pastries and a few sandwiches until 3 p.m. Their seating area is very nice, and the tables are larger, so this is a good option if you’re looking for somewhere to study. This is also a quieter shop compared to others in the area so if you don’t like background noise, this is a good choice. Furthermore, they have free Wi-Fi, friendly staff, and a student discount! I would highly recommend this shop to anyone looking for a good coffee or a good place to study.

Queen Anne Coffee Company

Located on Queen Anne Avenue, this coffee shop is a prime location for SPU students. Queen Anne Coffee Co. has indoor and outdoor seating. Their indoor tables are arranged into little pods with shields around them, for COVID-19 reasons, but it gives each table a little privacy. In addition to espresso, tea and Italian sodas, they have a full food menu including breakfast sandwiches and salads. Seasonal drinks include pumpkin spice lattes and spiced apple cider. Their pastry menu is longer than other places in the area and includes muffins, scones and cookies, among other tasty treats. They also have an array of canned and bottled beverages for sale and free Wi-Fi. If you are looking for a more food-oriented place to go, then I would recommend this café!

Going to school in the city of Seattle means a million coffee shops, but ach of these coffee shops offer a different vibe and are just the place to hit the books and study for midterms. Get your books and head to one of these amazing coffee shops and don’t forget to tip.

Tori McArthur is a Journalism and Sociology major at Seattle Pacific University. She loves to travel and lives by Indy Blue's mantra of "creating the life you want." You can probably find her at a thrift store in Seattle with a coffee in hand.