Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Celebrating Galentine’s Day With Your Gal Pals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Galentine’s Day has to be one of my favorite holidays! It’s a day where you get to celebrate friendships, share the love, and forget about all those dumb people who ghosted you. Just kidding, but also, not really.

In all seriousness, Galentine’s Day originated on the show “Parks and Recreations” by the character Leslie Knope.

She said, “What’s Galentine’s Day? Only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and boyfriends at home and just come kick it breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies”.

I’ve never even seen the show and I still know and celebrate the holiday because that’s how popular the holiday is! Especially when Valentine’s day is about celebrating couples, what do you do if you’re a single woman like me? Well, you get your best girlfriends together and you celebrate friendship!

I’ve put together a list of things for you to do with your roommates, sisters, girlfriends, best friends, you name it! From breakfast in bed all the way up to watching Sex in the City at night, I’ve got you covered.

Now, picture this. It’s the morning of February 13th, you wake up before sunrise, make a cup of tea or coffee, and now you’re ready to get the day started and begin celebrating. 

You’ve got to start your day off with something sweet. I’d recommend making heart-shaped waffles or pancakes. You can even run to Krispy-Kreme and pick up a fresh batch of donuts.

When the afternoon rolls around, you can begin decorating! Hang up a cute banner, some balloons, maybe some garland, and you’re set! Once you’re finished, you can start making Valentine’s day boxes for you and your girlfriends to exchange little gifts. I went to Target and picked up this white Valentine’s box for me to decorate, but you can also use recycled cardboard or boxes. Then, you can fit some time in to write a nice letter to each of your friends explaining why you love them.

Now, here comes the fun part…the evening time! For dinner, you can make heart-shaped pizzas or even buy these heart-shaped ravioli from Costco. I also love making charcuterie boards! Add your favorite cheese, meats, crackers, and chocolates onto a board, and you’ve just created a masterpiece. To spice things up, you can even plan to get all dressed up, while still having a nice covid-safe dinner at home.

Afterward, you can use the decorations you set up earlier to have a little photoshoot. You could play some games, I recommend the game, For the Girls. If you planned ahead, you could host a painting night and showcase your inner Bob Ross. One of my personal favorites is a dance party! You could even combine it with some karaoke and sing Lizzo’s “Truth Hurts” at the top of your lungs. Another one of my favorites is a movie night! Get all snuggled up on the couch with your besties and watch Sex in the City or Mean Girls, you know the vibe. But to top it off, you could even put on facemasks and paint your nails.

And of course, I saved the best for last. Dessert! You could bake cookies, brownies, or a cake, your options are truly endless. Maybe you’d like an ice cream bar instead! Another option for my fellow Seattle babes is ordering cookies from Midnight Cookie Company to be delivered to your apartment or dorm room. Grubhub will deliver them and they are delicious.

Regardless of how you spend the day, just remember that Galentine’s is all about celebrating you and your gal pals. Besides, you know how the saying goes, “boys (or significant other’s) are whatever but friends are forever” (wink, wink). 

Taylor is a senior at Seattle Pacific University, studying Communications and Digital Media. Her dreams of becoming the head of the social media department for a fashion magazine, have inspired her to write for her schools Her Campus chapter. In her spare time she loves videography, shopping, cheering, and she’s always down for an adventure. Find her on Instagram @taylorhiroyasu.