This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Name: 

Abby Wiersma

Age:

21

Year:

Junior

Major: 

Family and Consumer Sciences:  Individual and Family Development

On-campus involvement: 

I am the Public Relations Manager for a group on campus called Latreia.  Latreia is a resource for SPU students interested in volunteering in Seattle.  We partner with various organizations around Seattle who are interested in hosting groups of 7-12 students on a Saturday afternoon.  During that time, we serve in whatever capacity we can, while learning about the mission of the organization and the work they’re doing in the Seattle.  We host two Service Saturday’s each quarter.  I love Latreia for making available to students opportunities to see first-hand what great things people are up to in the city!

Hometown: 

I am originally from Grand Rapids, Michigan.  If you ever get the change, go check-out Lake Michigan.  It’s a real beauty!

What is your favorite part about Seattle? 

Ohhhh, I love the landscape!  One of my very favorite things to do in Seattle is to go kayaking on Lake Union.  You can rent a two-person kayak for just $20 an hour!  It’s so fun to view Gas Works Park, the many houseboats, the skyline, and all the bridges from on the water… it’s a whole new perspective!  And such a fun way to celebrate when the sun shines and the weather is warm.  Molly Moon’s vanilla bean ice cream with hot fudge is another “favorite part about Seattle.” And Le Panier’s amandine in Pike Place.  Can’t be beat!!

Hobbies: 

This summer, I became obsessed with baking.  I baked so many pies and peanut butter cookies.  I also like to sew, although I’m really not that good at it. Most recently, I made a jean quilt!  

Relationship Status: 

Single! 

Secret Talent:

I am really good at picking up small objects with my toes.  I wish that didn’t sound so gross.

Three words that describe you: 

Ha!  I’m so bad with words.  I asked my friend Sarah to answer this one for me: “Spontaneous, passionate, and accepting.” 

Guilty Pleasures: 

Cheeseburgers and hotdogs.  And tacos, too.  Also, I can never turn down ice cream… or doughnuts.  Food is my guilty pleasure, really just all of it.

On a friday night you will find me…:

Oh man, you’ll find me out to dinner, most likely.  Seattle has such great restaurants!  

What is your favorite show on Netflix currently?:

Friends might always be my favorite.  And Gilmore Girls, too.  That show reminds me of my early teen years.  Wahoo!

Fun Fact: 

My little sister and I were born on the same day — just three years apart!

Fashion Merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University going into my junior year. I am publicist for SPU MODE Fashion Group, work at a local boutique and have my own style blog. City girl at heart who loves stripes, macarons and anything fashion related.
Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com