This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

It’s officially February, and that time of year when we acknowledge and celebrate the contributions Black Americans have made and continue to make to our country and to our communities. In honor of Black History Month, here are seven incredible Black owned businesses in Seattle that you should definitely check out. From bookstores to bakeries, there’s something for everyone.

1. Estelita’s Library

A community space in South Seattle, Estelita’s Library is built to bring people together. You can check their website for upcoming book talks, history lessons, and other community events. You can visit the charming space in person, or shop the used bookstore online for your next social justice centered read. 

1. Black Coffee Northwest 

Black Coffee Northwest is so much more than a cafe. They host a weekly Black business market, serve as a hub for local leaders, host a podcast, and run youth programs to support the young people in the community with job training opportunities, after school activities, and mental health support. Check out their website to see which location is closest to you so you can stop in. If you’re a true coffee lover, you can also look into their monthly beans subscription so you never run short. 

1. Our Fabric Stash

Located in Pike Place Market, Our Fabric Stash is a unique kind of consignment store that’s any crafter’s dream. Here you can shop from a wide and unique collection of raw crafting materials such as fabric, yarn, buttons, etc. Not to mention, if you have a fabric stash of your own that you’ve been meaning to slim down, you can bring your materials in for consignment or to donate. The shop also provides sewing and alteration services. 

1. booSH

This plant nursery in the central district has just what you need to spruce up your space to make it through the last few winter months. Reasonably priced, and with a fairly extensive selection, you’re sure to find your new favorite plant.

1. Noir Lux Candle Bar

As Valentine’s Day approaches, Noir Lux would be the perfect place to find a gift for any valentine or galentine. Not only can you shop the collection of wonderful handmade candles, but you can also put your DIY skills to the test at the candle bar and build your own. Whether solo, with friends, or on a date, Noir Lux is a perfect experience for any group on any occasion.

1. Dedreajewels Designs

Another excellent place to find a unique Valentine’s Day gift is Dedreajewels Designs. Each piece is handmade and unique with beautiful metal work and funky designs that are guaranteed to stun. Not to mention, the jewelry is fairly reasonably priced, especially for the quality of the materials and craftsmanship. Just browse the online store and you’ll immediately understand the hype. 

1. Pinckney Cookie Cafe

Last but not least is Pinckney Cookie Cafe. You can order a box of delicious cookies online or find them at the farmers markets in Ballard, U District, West Seattle, and Queen Anne. Using all the best ingredients and baked meticulously, there’s no way you could ever be disappointed by a Pinckney Cookie Cafe cookie. To make things even better, they offer gluten free and vegan options as well.

I hope you get a chance to check out some (or all) or these incredible businesses that exist right here in our very own city. And don’t forget, it’s important to support Black owned businesses all year round. Happy Black History Month!

I am currently a junior at Seattle Pacific University pursuing a double major in Sociology and Social Justice. I grew up in rural Colorado, but have found my home here on the west coast. This is my third year as a member of Her Campus, and my first year taking on a leadership role within the SPU chapter. I have also devoted my time to SPU's independent, student run newspaper creating social media content.