This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

As finals fast approach (*cue the nail biting*), it’s safe to assume that everyone’s stress levels are rising. Does anyone else feel like the year is going by quick?! Not only are we ramping up for finals, but it is also the holiday season, which brings even more added stress. With the days shortening and the sky getting dark earlier, it’s really important to utilize your time productively and check those items off your to-do list. However, in stressful times it crucial to make sure you are getting enough sleep and taking care of yourself. Below is a list of quick tips on ways to relax when you start feeling stressed this next month.

1. Go outside

In our day and age I think that people underestimate the power of the outdoors and getting fresh air. Whether it’s going for a run, taking a walk with a friend, or walking your pup for a walk, it’s a great way to clear your head.

Suggestion: In the Seattle area, Discovery Park is awesome to explore, run or simply leisurely walk around. Plus, it’s close to campus!

1. Turn off electronics

It’s really easy to get sucked into the endless pit of checking all of your social media accounts. Not only does it take away from your productivity but it also takes away from focusing on yourself. Try turning everything off a couple hours before you go to bed-everyone can wait until the morning.

1. Treat yo self!

As a little kid, our parents would always treat us to ice cream or a toy if we worked hard at something. Nowadays, we are often too hard on ourselves and don’t indulge enough. Whether it’s dimming the lights and taking a bubble bath, getting your favorite pint of Ben and Jerry’s, watching your favorite show on Netflix or even just taking a nap. It doesn’t have to be fancy, but make sure that you are doing something each day that brings you joy.

Suggestion: Try the LUSH sea salt facemask while taking your bubble bath to produce a spa feel.

1. Do yoga or stretches before bed

You don’t have to be a yoga guru to do some stretches or basic yoga poses before bed. It is proven to be soothing and will help you relax and sleep better.  When you get stressed out, your body tenses up so it will feel better if you relieve that tension. Yoga has an emphasis on breathing, and focusing on each part of your body and rejuvenating your mind and body. Try it, and you’ll instantly feel better.

1. Rock out to your favorite music

Sometimes there’s nothing better then turning on your favorite song, blasting the volume and singing. Whether it’s a sad song to sing along to and feel melodramatic for a couple minutes or an upbeat song that makes you dance around the room-it’s very freeing and will instantly put you in a good mood.

Suggestion: Try playing something from your childhood because it is bound to put a smile on your face (I’m talking Destiny’s Child, Backstreet Boys, Kelly Clarkson or Neyo).

Fashion Merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University going into my junior year. I am publicist for SPU MODE Fashion Group, work at a local boutique and have my own style blog. City girl at heart who loves stripes, macarons and anything fashion related.
Fashion merchandising student at Seattle Pacific University where I aspire to become a bridal stylist, fashion stylist or trend forecaster. Other hobbies of mine include photography, sketching, and blogging . Follow my style blog at www.stylistinseattle.com