5 Ways to Celebrate Halloween in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

A lot of us wish we could go to a party for Halloween, something college kids would do all the time during a normal year. However, in times of COVID-19, parties and large gatherings are irresponsible as they risk the spread of infection. There are many fun alternative ways to spend Halloween that are all COVID-19 safe!

1.     Monstrous  Movie Marathon!

Who doesn’t love a good old-fashioned movie marathon? This Halloween, get cuddled up with some cozy blankets and hop on the couch! You could watch horror movies or chill with some non-scary Halloween themed movies. Watching movies with your roommates or close friends is the perfect COVID-19 safe solution to celebrate while staying safe.

Horror Movie Ideas: 

Rosemary’s Baby: 1968, 2h 17m, IMDb : 8/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

The Exorcist, 1973, 2h 15m, IMDb: 8/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 83%

Carrie: 1976, 1h 38m, IMDb: 7.4/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

The Shining: 1980, 2h 26m, IMDb: 8.4/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

The Silence of the Lambs: 1991, 2h 18m, IMDb: 8.6/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

The Conjuring: 2013, 1h 52m, IMDb: 7.5/10, Rotten Tomatoes:86%

Hereditary: 2018, 2h 7m, IMDb: 7.3/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

Midsommar: 2019, 2h 18m, IMDb: 7.1/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 83%

Chill Movie Ideas:

Ghostbusters: 1984, 1h 47m, IMDb: 7.8/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

Beetlejuice: 1988, 1h 33m, IMDb: 7.5/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

Edward Scissorhands: 1990, 1h 45m, IMDb: 7.9/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Hocus Pocus: 1993, 1h 36m, IMDb: 6.9/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 38%

The Nightmare Before Christmas: 1993, 1h 16m, IMDb: 8/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 95%

Halloweentown: 1998, 1h 24m, IMDb: 6.8/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 80%

Twitches: 2005, 1h 27m, IMDb: 5.7/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 60%

Frankenweenie: 2012, 1h 27m, IMDb: 6.9/10, Rotten Tomatoes: 87%

2.     Old Disney Channel Spooky Binge

This year why not hop on Disney Plus and binge watch Halloween episodes from our favorite childhood shows! These nostalgic episodes are sure to bring a smile to your face this Halloween.

Some Episodes to Watch:

Lizzie McGuire: S1:E24 – Night of the Day of the Dead

That’s So Raven: S2:E2 – Don’t Have a Cow

Kim Possible: S1:E14 – October 31st

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody: S1:E19 – Ghost of 613

Wizards of Waverly Place: S3:E2 – Halloween

Hannah Montana: S1:E15 – More Than a Zombie to Me

Phineas and Ferb: S1:E9 – One Good Scare Ought To Do It!

Good Luck Charlie: S2: E25 – Scary Had a Little Lamb

3.     Bake Freaky Fall Recipes

If you decide to watch TV, you’ll need a snack! Baking Halloween treats is a great way to spend Halloween this year! This is the perfect option if you’re looking for a way to spend time with your close friends, get off of your screens for a little bit, and boost your mental health. Head to your nearest grocery store and get your spooky vibes on!

Ideas:

Bake and decorate Halloween themed cookies or cupcakes

Bake Apple, Pecan, or Pumpkin Pie

Make fresh Apple Cider

Make Caramel Apples

Explore these Ideas! Each link has 40+ recipes to try out for Halloween. 

https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/g1194/halloween-treats/

https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/halloween/g151/halloween-desserts/

4.     Carve or Paint Petrifying Pumpkins

For our hands-on readers, we recommend spending Halloween night decorating pumpkins! This is a nice option for those who want to get messy and bring out their inner artist. The perfect way to close out October. Our nearby Trader Joes, Safeway, QFC, and Whole Foods all have pumpkins waiting for you to take them home. 

5.     Eerie Dress up & Photoshoot

One of the best things about Halloween is the chance to dress-up! Our gal, corona, has messed this up big time. Many of us want to go out and show off our costumes! One possible solution is to dress up with your roommates and have a full-out photoshoot in your costumes! Maybe even incorporate masks into your costume to remember this *special* year. Send your pics to our instagram, @hercampusspu for a chance to be featured! 

Remember: 

There is nothing more spooky than a pandemic on-top of Halloween, however there are a lot of safe options out there to do at home! Any of these ideas can be enjoyed with close friends as we celebrate Halloween COVID-19 edition.  Try out one or multiple ideas and remember you could be saving lives and stopping the spread of COVID-19. Just remember to stay safe and be considerate of others this year.

Hello! I'm the Editor in Chief for Her Campus SPU. I am a senior at Seattle Pacific University, double majoring in Communication and Social Justice & Cultural Studies with a Concentration in Pre-Law, Human Rights, and Policy. I'm also pursuing a minor in Women's Studies! I am passionate about intersectional social activism and love dogs, books, and cookies.