5 Places to Visit in The PNW This Memorial Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Being a college student, I always appreciate a long weekend. Taking time for myself to relax and not worry about work is always a positive in my book. However, relaxing can be a bit tedious. Especially when we spent almost two years doing it. So, what better way to spend this Memorial Day Weekend than to travel and see what the Pacific Northwest has to offer! 

Here are some of my suggestions on how to spend your extended weekend! 

Port Townsend, Washington 

This quiet and coastal town is a perfect getaway for those who like to sit, relax, and read a book on their time off. If you want to go out and explore, Port Townsend also offers some beautiful kayaking, canoeing, and paddleboarding in the Puget Sound! Biking is also an activity thoroughly enjoyed by the residents of this quaint sea-side town. Airbnb’s range from $80-$200 per night and the restaurants in the area are highly rated! Saturday morning you could spend some time at the Uptown Port Townsend Market where there is plenty of food, friends, and music!

For more information and itineraries, visit the city’s website:

Tamolitch Blue Pools, Eugene, OR

A friend actually recommended this destination to me! This is around a 4 mile hike that leads you to a beautiful lagoon right along the McKenzie River. Although hiking websites warn against jumping in the water because it is cold, a quick “in-and-out” will cool you off after your hike. After you get your pictures next to the water, or if you take a dip in the icy water, you have the option to  continue on the rest of the 26 mile hike. However, it is also very easy to return back to your car and continue on to your next adventure!

Information on the hike itself and some fun pictures can be found here:

https://www.hikeoregon.net/blue-pool.html

Portland, OR

Although I’m from the PNW, I’ve never been to Portland. So, obviously, I had to do some research for when I finally do visit. In my research, I found many things to do in and around the city! One of the most popular (and the best in my opinion) is thrift shopping. Portland offers many thrift shops including Red Light, 2nd Street Hawthorne, and Buffalo Exchange. After thrifting, hit Powell’s Bookstore. At the block-long store, you are bound to find a book that suits you! If you are more active, Portland offers many activities including nearby hiking and biking. After a long day of activities, go to one of Portland’s many food truck “pods”. To round out your weekend, make sure to stop at Portland’s Farmers Market, there every Saturday! Airbnb’s range from $50-$200 in the northeast part of the city!

More information can be found here: 

https://www.travelportland.com

Silverwood Theme Park, Coeur D’Alene, Idaho 

If you are a kid at heart, this destination is for you! Located next to beautiful Coeur D’Alene, Idaho, Silverwood Theme Park offers fun rides, good food, and interesting entertainment. With rides for all ages, Silverwood also has an impressive waterpark that would be perfect for anyone who likes to swim! After spending all day at Silverwood, enjoy a fun evening in Coeur D’Alene’s downtown area. On Sunday spend some time at the Coeur D’Alene Flea Market happening on May 29th! Snag some handmade candies, vintage clothing, or fun soaps while you’re there! Airbnb’s range from $90-$200 per night in this beautiful city!

Here is the city’s website for more info:

https://coeurdalene.org/

The Twilight Trip, Forks, Washington

Everyone should know that I AM a proud Twilight fan. So, this is what I will probably be doing this Memorial Day weekend. Forks, Washington, is about a 3.5 hour car ride from Seattle which makes it the perfect destination for a weekend getaway! After entering the city, you can take a picture next to the iconic city sign and Bella’s red truck. While in the city, stop at the Twilight Museum. There, you can see “artifacts” from when the movie was filmed, you can even see the Renesmee “demon”. Sounds super fun, right? If you are looking for some photo-ops, look no further than the Hoh Rain Forest! Lastly, head to La Push baby, La Push. Even though the beach seen in the movies is in Oregon, you can still enjoy the somewhat sandy beaches and the amazing scenery! Finish off your trip by sampling some of Fork’s food and meet with the locals! Hopefully, none of them will turn you into a vampire!

More info can be found here:

Hey Everyone! My name is Emma! I'm from Idaho Falls, Idaho! I'm in Seattle for school at Seattle Pacific University where I'm double-majoring in History and French! I love writing, especially when it has to do with history! Some fun facts about me are I can speak French and I had my 10th birthday in a Johann's Fabric store!