This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

During the pandemic, I have found myself reading and watching movies during almost all of my downtime. This is largely due to the fact that books and movies can offer a sense of comfort during times of crisis. If you are looking for this type of escapism, I have just what you need. Here are three books to read before their movie premieres:   1. Dune written by Frank Herbert in 1965 is a classic science fiction novel that explores an interstellar society set 20,000 years in the future. It follows Paul Atreides, a teenage boy whose royal family is sent to rule over the desert planet, Arrakis. The planet’s main resource is “spice” or melange, a mind expanding drug that enhances the human brain’s abilities. When his family is betrayed, Paul must join the native people of Arrakis to regain control of his planet and avenge his family. Dune is an incredible story to read because it is known as the inspiration for many classic science-fiction universes. Not only does it explore science fiction, it also touches on politics, philosophy, religion, and culture. Dune is being adapted into a film set to be released October 1, 2021. Its amazing cast includes Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Oscar Isaac, Rebecca Ferguson, Jason Mamoa, and more. There is still plenty of time until the movie is released, so pick up a copy of Dune and enjoy the unforgettable journey! 

2. The Tragedy of Macbeth is an upcoming film based on the play Macbeth by William Shakespeare. Macbeth is a Scottish lord who discovers, from a trio of witches, that he will one day rule over Scotland. However, there is a catch. In order to receive this power, Macbeth must be willing to do one thing—murder. Macbeth is a story of ambition, guilt, paranoia, and greed. It explores dark tragic themes that are powerful even to this day. The release date of the film adaptation, The Tragedy of Macbeth has not been announced yet however, it will be available sometime in 2021. The cast has a fascinating lineup of actors. Macbeth will be played by Denzel Washington and Lady Macbeth will be played by Frances Mcdormand. If you’re interested in watching the film, definitely have fun exploring the original play written by Shakespeare beforehand. 

3. The House of Gucci written by Sara Gay Forden is a true story about the murder of Maurizio Gucci, heir to the Gucci dynasty. The author explains the history of the Gucci family fighting over ownership of the company and how Maurizio was able to rise to the top. The book provides readers with in-depth descriptions of the fashion industry and how the Gucci dynasty rose to fame. Much of the story focuses on Maurizio and his shocking assassination. The film, House of Gucci will be released November 24, 2021. The cast includes many household names such as Adam Driver as Maurizio and Lady Gaga as Patrizia Reggiani. The murder of Maurizio Gucci is a story of greed and betrayal. If you have any interest in the fashion industry or the rise of Gucci, make sure to read The House of Gucci before its film hits theaters this winter!

Hi! I am studying Business Information Systems at Seattle Pacific University. I am from Northern California near the Sacramento/Lake Tahoe area! My favorite hobbies include reading, watching movies, and listening to music!