10 Sustainable Gifts from Small Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SPU chapter.

Finding the perfect gift is hard. In times of COVID-19, it has become increasingly more important to support local and small bussinesses, while also being sustainable. Whether you’re shopping for a best friend, family member, or significant other, these 10 ideas will make your family and friends smile. Check out our picks. 

1. Homemade Essential Oil Candle 

• “Little tins of goodness made right here by Butter Home! 100% essential oils + US grown soy wax make for mighty fine candles. Our scents are fresh and bright and good for you to smell.”

2. Satin Sleep Set

• “This gift-ready satin sleep set from woman-owned Kitsch comes with a silky-soft pillowcase, plush padded eye mask and scrunchie.”

3. Little Words Project Bracelet

• “Show your support for equality with this handmade, beaded bracelet that promotes acceptance and respect for all.”

4. Reusable Metal Straws

• Whatever your choice of beverage is, these straws will always come in handy. I got the metallic rainbow set of straws for Christmas last year and it even came with a cleaning tool.

5. Insulated Bottle

• These  reusable bottles come in cute designs, save plastic, and keep your beverages both hot or cold.

6. L. Miles Handmade Jewelry

• “L Miles Handmade was created to inspire women to be unique and feel their best. Each piece of jewelry is handmade with love, and the hope of inspiring other women to follow their dreams and stand out from the crowd.”

7. Allbirds Tree Runners

• “Our breathable, silky-smooth sneaker made with responsibly sourced eucalyptus tree fiber treads lightly in everything you do.”

8. Tristen Ikaika Silverware Rings

• These rings are so sustainable as the founder, owner, and creator of the rings, Ikaika, makes them himself from silverware found thrifting. Keep an eye out for his newest “drop” of rings Thanksgiving night at 9 pm PST.

9. Handcrafted Gifts- World Vision

• Give where most needed and get a free handcrafted gift. Your donation will make the most impact for children and families!

10. Barefoot Dreams Blanket

• “Wrap yourself in the irresistible softness of our iconic CozyChic knit–an extra soft and cozy easy-care fabric that won’t shrink, pill or wrinkle. A celebrity favorite, this blanket is sure to add a dash of simple elegance to your home décor.”

11. Work it Out Water Bottle

• “Our water bottle holds a generous pour of water and has an easy-to-carry plastic lid with removable silicone mouthpiece (a breeeeze to clean). Oh, and this one is extra special because it has markers to track how much water you’re drinking and encourages you to drink even more!”

12. An experience!

• Instead of giving a gift, take a loved one out to eat at a local restaurant, a movie theatre, or a spa day! Extra points if it’s a small business:) 

Hi everyone! I am currently a third year International Business undergraduate at Seattle Pacific University with an interest in marketing, management, advertising, and social media. In my free time I enjoy taking pictures, traveling with family and friends, and finding new coffee shops.