Who Will Be the 34th Miss Spelman College?: Meet The Contestants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

At 6pm tonight Spelman College will begin the process of swearing in its 34th Miss Spelman College and her court for the 2017-2018 school year.

She who bears the title of Miss Spelman College vows to not only represent and protect Spelman College, but also it’s students and members of the Atlanta community. This year, we are lucky to have five sisters who have taken the vow and are ready to reach for the crown. 

Contestant #1 is Fatou Haidara

Fatou Haidara is a Junior Psychology Major on the Pre-Law track from Harlem, New York. Upon graduating from Spelman College, Fatou intends to become an entertainment lawyer, own a law practice, and start her own non-profit organization to mentor youth and help them pursue higher education.

Organizations: Vice President of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, General Body Member of Beyond Curves, Miss Spelman Advisory Board (2016), Assistant in the Office of Student Life, and a Research assistant in the Spelman College Psychology department. What do you do for fun?: “I enjoy spending time with friends, watching movies, going out to eat”. What are 3 things you’d do as Miss Spelman College?: “As Miss Spelman, my most important initiative is to reign as a queen of relatability to make students feel like I am someone they can come to with anything”, said Fatou. “I will also bring awareness to domestic abuse and unhealthy relationships, specifically targeting psychological effects of domestic violence, not only physical. I will also have more open and available forms of conversation, especially with freshmen to help them get acclimated to Spelman”. Why do you want to be  Miss Spelman College?: “I feel as though we need to defy the image of campus queens and bring in a new wave of queens who will be queens but will not be differentiated from students”.

Contestant #2 is Melaine Ferdinand-King

Melaine Ferdinand-King is a Junior Sociology major with a focus in African Diaspora Studies from Brick, New Jersey. Upon graduating from Spelman College, Melaine intends to become the president of an HBCU.

Organizations: Fellow of Joseph and Evelyn Lowery Institute for Justice and Human’s Rights, Spelman College Honors Program, National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs Incorporated, National Council of Negro Women, and the Spelman College Social Justice Program. What do you do for fun?: “I really enjoy going to concerts”. What are 3 things you’d do as Miss Spelman College?: “As Miss Spelman College, I will firstly implement my platform, increase visibility of Miss Spelman and Her Court, and continue to inspire academic excellence and commitment service”.  Why do you want to be Miss Spelman College?: “I am passionate about my institution and everything that it stands for. I hope to inspire young women of African descent to be their best selves and to embrace their natural beauty. I will hope to lead a long lasting legacy that will positively impact people not only on Spelman’s campus, but in the Atlanta community and beyond”. 

Contestant #3 is Zaire Bailey

Zaire Bailey is a Junior Political Science Major from Santa Rosa, California. Upon graduating from Spelman College, Zaire intends to attend a graduate school for Public Policy and Data Analytics so that she can work in the Public Policy section of a technological company.

Organizations: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated member, Pi Sigma Alpha National Political Science Honor Society, Golden Key International Honor Society, and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society. What do you do for fun?: “ I dance, I love camping, swimming, and working with young girls”. What are 3 things you’d do as Miss Spelman College?: “[First] I would host events that bring students, community members, and Spelman staff together to educate and support one another in order to change the stigmas that surround self-care. [Second] I would also partner with Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy to host an event about self-love and how it influences all facets of their life. [Third] I would like to improve the visibility of Miss Spelman College in not only the AUC, but throughout the Atlanta Community”.  Why do you want to be Miss Spelman College?:“I want to be Miss Spelman College first because of my love for the institution and the women who attend it. Spelman has done so much for me that I would aspire to give back to the school who helped me grow so much”, said Zaire. “I also want to be Miss Spelman College because I would like to improve and strengthen the mental, physical, and emotional health of girls and women through education, conversations, and self-care clinics”. 

Contestant #4 is Janna LeAnn Perry

Janna LeAnn Perry is a Junior Political Science major with a minor in Sociology from Long Island, New York. Upon graduating from Spelman College, Janna intends to obtain her Juris Doctorate and would also like to produce a daytime television show to connect with the people. Also, she aspires to serve children who have impacted and affected by poverty and neglect.

Organizations: Spelman Social Justice Associate, Miss Spelman Advisory Board (2016) ,Jack and Jill Collegiate Associate, and she owns her own BLOG (click to view). What are 3 things you’d do as Miss Spelman College?: “I will have a have a “get to know me” in the beginning of the year a sister chats for Spelmanites to get comfy with their queen; wisdom Wednesdays, set up like Oprah’s life class, speakers will come, students can share, professors too; promote all three aspects of your platform, loving affirming and winning through various events, activities and assessments that will help Spelman students gain a greater confidence in themselves and their abilities”. What do you do for fun?: “I like to watch grey’s anatomy and scandal”. Why do you want to be Miss Spelman College?: ” Miss Spelman has to be a lot of things for a lot of people. She has to be a friend, a role model, a sister, someone you can confide in, or she can just be someone you can ask questions to” said Janna. “My goal with wanting to be Miss Spelman College is to help someone else see how much purpose and excitement there is in their own life. I want to be Miss Spelman not only for me, but for us as a collective. I want to represent all of the people who thought they could never be Miss Spelman, the people who have made mistakes and had to grow and learn; fall before they could fly”.

Contestant #5 is Haleigh Renee Hoskins

Haleigh Renee Hoskins is a Junior International Studies major with a minor in Spanish from Peoria, Illinois. Upon graduating from Spelman College, Haleigh intends to become an Human Rights Attorney who represents people in a civil capacity.

Organizations: Atlanta branch of NAACP, NCNW, Golden Key International Honors Society, Student Ambassadors, and Phi Alpha Delta.

What are 3 things you’d do as Miss Spelman College?: I would raise awareness for bullying and suicide, initiate safe spaces and self-love campaigns, and work with the board of trustees to bring awareness of student issues”.

What do you like to do for fun?: “I like to garden”.

Why do you want to be Miss Spelman College?: “I would like to be Miss Spelman College because I think it’s important to give the voices the students already have the chance to prosper. As well, I hope to bring forth my platform on bully and suicide prevention awareness because I think it is possible to have that support system here at Spelman College”, said Haleigh. “I would personally like to represent the students in every aspect as far as activities, as well as representation to the Board of Trustees because I believe in the college and I believe in my sisters”.

Contestant #6 is Mackenzie Millet

Mackenzie Millet is a Political Science major from Nashville, Tennessee. Upon graduating from Spelman College, Mackenzie intends to work in Student Affairs or Admissions at an institute of high education in a director position.

Organizations: Phi Alpha Delta, Spelman ambassadors, PALS, and Jack and Jill of America Collegiate.

What are 3 things you’d like to do as Miss Spelman College?: “I will implement my platform of MAGIC, Making Art Grown In Color, hence bringing awareness to the arts at Spelman as they are too often not represented. I will also collaborate with middle schools in the West End community to expose them to the arts because I want to reach those who may have a passion for it but not the resources to do so. Another goal I have is to make Miss Spelman more visible within the community”.

What do you like to do for fun?: “In my leisure, I love to write and roller skate, but my favorite thing to do is eat”.

Hey hey guys! My name is La'Candis, but I usually go by Candis. Hailing from the countryside of Monroe, Louisiana its no surprise that I love my sugar cane sweet tea and zydeco music. Currently, I am a Junior Political Science major with a minor in writing at the Illustrious Spelman College. Upon obtaining my undergraduate degree next Spring I intend to pursue a career in journalism.
Mary Chimezie

Spelman '18

I am a philosophy major, double minoring in economics and comparative women's studies at Spelman College, the #1 HBCU. I love gospel and Kanye (cue Ultralight Beam), painting, knitting, and a bunch of other things!