What Is Your Passion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Did money determine your career or did your passion? Do you even know the difference? Many of us, college students, are driven by goals to make it big, to have a better life, or to provide better for ourselves and family members. These goals are surrounded by how much money we make. Whether we choose to admit it or not, money does indeed make the world go round. Still we should not have to sacrifice our passions for our income. Someone needs to teach us a way exists that combine both. One of the problems young adults face is that our passions do not present themselves at a specified time in our lives. By 10th grade, we all do not know what career will bring us joy to pursue for the rest of our lives. Passions arrive at their own will, you can find your passion when you are 7 or when you are 47. No one knows. So how do we narrow down that time? You expose yourself to different avenues and aspects in life. We get involved in different activities, leave what does not interest you and soon enough you will find what does. Within your interests, your passions will surface. The club that you actually still attend when you have 2 exams that week or the volunteer service you still get up for Saturday morning when you partied hard Friday night provides a good starting point. Those are where your enjoyment lies and what you enjoy deciphers how passionate you are about the subject. So go out and explore the world around you. Do not let your desired salary eliminate the avenues where your passions silently await. Money is important, but so is your happiness. Make your career choice based on your inner voice, it will lead you in the right direction. Guaranteed.

I am an aspiring Psychiatrist hailing from New Jersey. I wish to end the taboo surrounding Mental Illness in the black community along with working with the disadvantaged, mentally ill African Americans, giving them the resources, help and medication they need to have a fighting chance in this world. My favorite quote of all time is from Oscar Wilde, “ The curves of your lips rewrite history.” I am adamant about writing because I know it is the best form of advocacy. Writing is one of the most overlooked, powerful tools in my era.
Endia Hayes is a junior, Sociology and Anthropology major at the illustrious Spelman College. An aspiring college professor with hopes on earning her PH.D. in Sociology, Endia is a scholar activist and UNCF Mellon Mays Fellow who believes that through education anyone can change the world. If you see or know of an issue, take a stand because the world will continue to turn with or without your impact. She loves all types of music, however, she is convinced Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong are the best duo of all time. Les Miserables is the absolute BEST musical and no one can convince her otherwise.I am not longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept ~ Angela Davis