Sister Cadet: Keonte’Ariel Lee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Today, when you think of the military does female empowerment come to mind? Over the years women have and still are breaking gender stereotypes by joining the military. Unfortunately, women continue to be the minority in the military.  Despite the odds, Spelman student Keonte’ Ariel Lee has chosen to accept the challenge by being a part of the ROTC program, The National Guard, and a full-time college student. Her ambition to serve her country is not only admirable, but it is inspirational.  Keonte’s participation in ROTC exemplifies how she exhilarates excellence, strength, and skills that make her more than an outstanding individual, but an outstanding Black woman. As Keonte’ walks Spelman’s campus wearing her military uniform, she serves as a role model and a hero for all future female Army Cadets.   

Full Name: Keonte’Ariel Lee

Hometown: South Carolina

Classification: Third Year

Major: Political Science/ Pre-law

ROTC Program: Morehouse College, branch of the Georgia State ROTC program

Length of Participation: Started Spring Semester of 2014

Significant Fact: “I signed my contract to enlist in the Georgia Army National Guard at the end of fall semester in 2013.” 

What influenced your decision to join the Reserves Officers Training Corps program?

I decided to join the Army ROTC Program because I knew that I wanted to serve my country as an U.S. Officer in the Army. I also knew that I did not want to have a traditional job after college. The ROTC program instills confidence, discipline, and time management, all of which I need to continue to stay successful.

Do you have family members that are in the military?

Yes, my dad was in the South Carolina Army National Guard until 2007. My grandfather was in the Navy during Vietnam. His sister, my grandaunt retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army. My grandaunt also serves as my inspiration.  Over the years I have witnessed how the military has enhanced her life by giving her better opportunities to become successful.

How is your ROTC student life different from other students at Spelman College?

My life as an ROTC student is different primarily because the ROTC program includes rigorous training courses that require a lot of time. I have done more in the day by 7:00 am than any average Spelman student will do during her entire day. For example, I have physical training (PT) Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:00 am. On Tuesday and Thursday I have class and labs at Georgia State. Once I finish my ROTC schedule I still have to attend my normal class schedule, so having a social life and time management can really be a struggle.

What experience and skills has ROTC given you?

The ROTC program has given me many survival and combat skills that will be beneficial for a military career. Along with the intense physical training, I have been taught land navigation, tactical combat swimming, and training that involve suicide prevention and sexual assault awareness.

As a female, how has ROTC benefited you?

ROTC has taught me to not shrink when I am in a male dominated society. In the military females are the minorities, so I have to show them that I am serious. Also, ROTC has taught me to never give up. In the army, just because you’re a female you are still given equal responsibilities to the males no matter how difficult.

In what ways do you feel that women benefit the military?

We benefit the military because one we add diversity and two we show our male counterparts that we can do just as much as they can do mentally, physically, and intellectually.

After graduating what are your plans and how do you intend to use your experience in ROTC?

After graduating I hope to commission as a U.S. Officer and work in the legal side of the Army.  I feel that ROTC has provided me with the confidence to execute a career in law. I want to bring justice to people who have been affected negatively while in the army, specifically sexual assault. 

Hi, my name is Alexandria Fuller. I am a third year English Major with a concentration in Mass Media Communications at Spelman College. I have always had a love for reading and writing. I believe that writing is fundamentally the most important skill to have. Most of my inspiration for writing came from writing poetry and blossomed into all different styles such as editorials, journals, short-stories, and blogs. Currently, I have a strong interest in writing for Communication fields such as television, social media, and public relations. After graduation I intend to pursue a career in broadcast journalism and also television production. 
Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"