Style

Her Campus Spelman x CFW Fashionista Profile: Arianna Valbrun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Arianna Valbrun is the epitome of fashion. The first time I saw her on campus, she was wearing a graphic t-shirt dress, an off the shoulder jacket, four inch black platform boots and these huge dice earrings. I immediately knew she was the coolest person I had ever seen, which is why I had to interview her for Her Campus Spelman’s College Fashion Week segment. Valbrun is a junior international studies major, photography minor from Maryland. I asked her questions about her style, inspirations, and what the art of fashion means to her. 

How would you describe your style?

I describe my style as whimsical, ironic and fun. I’m inspired by so many different eras and things I loved during my childhood. 

Has anyone influenced your style?

I’m not particularly influenced by certain people but I do love performance looks from the early 90s and 2000s. I also really love Dennis Rodman’s style and the way he just doesn’t care.

Do you consider your style unique? If so, when did you realize this?

I think everyone is unique regardless of if they have a quote on quote “cool / palatable” style that people take a liking to. I didn’t realize that my style was different until I got to college honestly. I was usually made to feel bad about the way I dressed when I was younger. 

What do you feel makes an outfit (yours in particular) unique?

I think mixing ugly pieces with societally cute pieces makes an outfit for me. The fact that I can wear the ugliest garment in the room and just pretend it’s cute, and people around will believe it’s cute solely based off of my attitude is amazing to me.

Have you ever considered styling anyone else?

Yes, I do occasionally, but I feel that the reason I always model my own things is because I believe that we (ourselves) are the only people who can execute and embody our style the way we want it to look. I find that a lot of times, I’m not good at styling others because I tend to put them in outfits that I would want to wear and not outfits that suit their style. It’s a work in progress.

What is the process that you go through when picking out an outfit?

Solely based off of how I’m feeling that day. Maybe a subculture that I’m a part of at that time. I never really plan outfits, I just wake up that morning and figure it out.

Do you believe there is a correlation between individuality and fashion?

Absolutely. Our clothes are the first representation of ourselves that we outwardly want to show people. Whether you think you like fashion or not, it’s subconsciously important to all humans and a major way in which we express ourselves. Some of us are just more into that medium of expression than others, but it’s in us all. 

What’s your favorite thing in your closet right now?

My favorite thing about my closet are my accessories. Hats, scarfs, belts, etc. Things that just really tie my outfit together.

How has fashion helped you?

It sounds corny, but it’s one of my best ways of expressing myself and has made me who I am today.

What are your career aspirations?

Career wise, I want to work for a magazine publication, preferably being in the fashion editorial department. I want to travel too and study fashion in different countries. I’m still figuring it all out.

Valbrun has been featured in multiple magazine articles, including VoyageATL and i-D Vice magazine. She also makes handmade crochet-wear though the Instagram page @knottybyari. Follow her on her personal instagram as well @ariannavalbrun to keep up with all her current looks! 

My name is Nzingha Florence and I am currently a Sophomore English major, Photography minor from Chesapeake, Virginia, attending the illustrious Spelman College. My career goals and aspirations include being a multimedia journalist, content creator, and published poet. I enjoy writing content that promotes self-love and positive mental / physical wellbeing. This past year, I began my own self-help blog that has reached up to 200 viewers. I love to travel and document my travels through writing, photography, and videography. Whatever profession I have in the future, it has to include traveling because I feel as if the world is too beautiful not to see and explore. I am very excited to be joining the HER Campus Spelman Chapter as a content writer. I can't wait to see what this year has in store!
Kimani Leftridge is currently an Anthropology and Sociology major at Spelman College. Kimani loves writing and talking about politics, they have aspirations of becoming a college professor and continuing to work in the field of journalism. If they are not writing, they can be found organizing, involved in political discourse, reading or painting. In addition to being a writer, Kimani is also a visual artist who's pieces often have the same subject matter as their writings. You can follow them on Instagram @angstyblkartist.