Founder’s Day: The First of Many

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

A little over a year and a half ago the first, and only, thing I thought of if someone brought up Spelman College was, “Isn’t that an all girls HBCU?

Having attended a very diverse high school, the idea of applying to a college that has such a specific demographic seemed incredibly weird. There were no Spelman alumna at my high school nor were there any in my immediate family and friend circle. Because of this, I had no knowledge of what Spelman truly was.  Somehow, I ended up at a college fair where I met an admissions officer from Spelman. She convinced me to apply, despite my apprehension.

I knew I had the grades and appeal to get into the College. At this moment, I was only really interested in the acceptance letter. My opinion and perspective on what Spelman is and represents did not form until after I recieved my acceptance and it was time to attend Spelbound.

If you know anything about Spelbound, you know that the two day overnight experience is the defining point.  One’s Spelbound experience will determine whether or not an accepted student will say yes to the #1 Historically Black College/University (10 years strong) in the nation.

There was something about this gorgeous campus, the caliber of women that attend, and also  how much fun they can have while still being the best that drew me in. As a result, I was one of those that said yes.

Spelman is a school full of captains, class presidents, debate members, artists, dancers, musicians, and ethnic women from all walks of life with all different stories and backgrounds but we all share a common goal: becoming the best we can be. Not only do we all share the same goal in this day and age, but it that has been the goal for 136 years now. 

On Tuesday, April 11th, of this week I will have the pleasure of celebrating my very first Founder’s Day as a dedication to Sophia B. Packard and Harriet E. Giles and the many others who have contributed to the success of Spelman College.

I have been looking forward to this day since the beginning of first semester. For me, this coming Founder’s Day will hopefully be a way to get in touch with Spelman College and her roots. I know the campus will be full of white dresses, black closed toed shoes, and alumna from all different graduation classes.

The opportunity to hear their experiences and what their time here at Spelman was like is priceless. 

Mary Chimezie

Spelman '18

I am a philosophy major, double minoring in economics and comparative women's studies at Spelman College, the #1 HBCU. I love gospel and Kanye (cue Ultralight Beam), painting, knitting, and a bunch of other things!
Hey hey guys! My name is La'Candis, but I usually go by Candis. Hailing from the countryside of Monroe, Louisiana its no surprise that I love my sugar cane sweet tea and zydeco music. Currently, I am a Junior Political Science major with a minor in writing at the Illustrious Spelman College. Upon obtaining my undergraduate degree next Spring I intend to pursue a career in journalism.