Dear Morehouse Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

The film phenomenon currently sweeping the nation examines the tough questions regarding 21st century black and white relations and interactions.  Dear White People is due to become a defining film for our generation but according to Mo Barnes’, contributor for RollingOut, experience, many still cannot handle sensitive issues with a mature attitude. 

Barnes, sitting in the theater in Columbia, South Carolina, observed the Morehouse College football team and their response to the film.  The football team continuously yelled out homophobic slurs throughout the film as well as cheering on the violent beating of a gay character.  Barnes expressed her frustration and appall at the actions of the supposed distinct men of Morehouse.

In response to the article, Marcus Lee, the president of the Morehouse Safe Space group, reached out expressing his deepest disappointment at the team.  Lee also goes one to suggest that there will be a greater outreach to creating a safe space for all members of the LGBTQ community on Morehouse’s campus.  One can only assume that this may come in the form of safe space awareness seminars and/or information sessions required for Morehouse students.  This unfortunate circumstance has created a large media frenzy around Morehouse men and whether they truly portray as well as honor the shoulders they stand on outside of the institution.

So I write this next paragraph with the best intentions:

Dear Morehouse men, 

As some of the most prestigious young black male leaders, how much longer will you continue to put up with issues of homophobia and sexual assault?  It is time to educate yourselves to ensure the safety of not only your fellow Morehouse brother but your Spelman sisters as well.  Safe space education is not the only required learning that should be implemented.

As quickly as Morehouse College was to respond to homophobic slurs, I can only hope that this very same urgency will be taken with sexual assault against Spelman women. 

Endia Hayes is a junior, Sociology and Anthropology major at the illustrious Spelman College. An aspiring college professor with hopes on earning her PH.D. in Sociology, Endia is a scholar activist and UNCF Mellon Mays Fellow who believes that through education anyone can change the world. If you see or know of an issue, take a stand because the world will continue to turn with or without your impact. She loves all types of music, however, she is convinced Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong are the best duo of all time. Les Miserables is the absolute BEST musical and no one can convince her otherwise.I am not longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept ~ Angela Davis