Danyelle Carter, C’2016, Studies Japanese, Interns at Univision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

This article was published in Spelman College’s e-newsletter, Spelman Connection

Danyelle Carter, C’2016, is having a whirlwind of a summer. Fresh off the heels from studying Japanese and cross-cultural communications at Josai International University in Chiba, Japan, the comparative women’s studies major is now serving as a UNCF Public Relations Internship, Mentoring and Education scholar. Based in Miami, Florida, Carter works in Univision’s Miami, Florida, office, where she reports to the vice president of consumer and entertainment public relations on the corporate communications team. Sponsored in partnership with the PRSA Foundation, the PRIME Scholars Program provides internships, professional development training and education in the public relations field. The program aims to create a clear conduit for African Americans to enter the public relations industry through student recruitment and support, institutional capacity-building and employer engagement. While in Japan, Carter conducted research at Josai’s Gender and Women’s Studies Institute on the development of comparative critical perspectives on women’s literature, writing, and broadening the scope of gender critics and theory.

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"