Campus Cuties: 2017 Founders Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

(all pictures provided by Mary Chimezie)

Spelman College’s Founders Day is a celebration of academic excellence, black girl magic, and the undaunted fight for progression. On Tuesday, April 11th Spelmanites, both undergraduate and alumnae, gathered on Spelman’s campus to celebrate 136 years of sisterhood. Walking in the footsteps of their founders, Harriet E. Giles and Sophia B. Packard, Spelmanites stepped out in their best white attire. Below were our favorites from this special day. 

Name: Genesis Thigpen Major: First Year, Economics Hometown: Jackson, MS Inspo: Genesis wanted to dress in a more classic style and she was also inspired by the Snapchat filter with Harriet Giles and Sophia Packard, specifically their collars and the fashion of that time period. Her dress is from Forever 21. Why do you love Spelman?: “I love being around educated clack women and having the chance to contribute to black girl magic.”

Name: Maury Washington  Major: Comparative Women’s Studies, Class of ‘16 Hometown: Chicago, IL Inspo: Maury was inspired by Ralph Lauren, but also wanted to have an effortless look while incorporating a scarf she got from her boyfriend’s mom. Why do you love Spelman?: “What’s not love? I am because of Spelman.”

Name: Eden Gabrielle Harrison Major: First Year, Psychology  Hometown: Detroit, MI Inspo: Eden like to wear white when she can because it makes her hair pop out. She also likes flowers so she wanted to find a way to wear flowers without looking corny. Her dress is from Nordstrom. Why do you love Spelman?: “I love Spelman because it does so well with helping to boost morale of students outside of just academics and does well with helping its students affirm themselves.”

Mary Chimezie

Spelman '18

I am a philosophy major, double minoring in economics and comparative women's studies at Spelman College, the #1 HBCU. I love gospel and Kanye (cue Ultralight Beam), painting, knitting, and a bunch of other things!
Hey hey guys! My name is La'Candis, but I usually go by Candis. Hailing from the countryside of Monroe, Louisiana its no surprise that I love my sugar cane sweet tea and zydeco music. Currently, I am a Junior Political Science major with a minor in writing at the Illustrious Spelman College. Upon obtaining my undergraduate degree next Spring I intend to pursue a career in journalism.