Campus Celebrity: Miss Maroon and White, Brittany “Reeci” Botts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Brittany Botts, better known as “Reeci”, is certainly a recognizable face on Spelman’s campus. Her friendly demeanor and can-do attitude make her loveable to those who know her well, and even those who don’t. When she isn’t serving the community through one of her numerous initiatives, and of course maintaining her stellar G.P.A., Reeci serves as Miss Maroon and White, the female representative of Morehouse College. Above all, students describe Reeci as a remarkable and compassionate Spelman sister who does all she can to help the people around her. Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Brittany “Reeci” Botts!

Name: Brittany “Reeci” Botts

Classification: Senior

Major: Sociology and Anthropology

Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Dorm: Off Campus

Relationship Status: Single

What classes are you currently taking?

I’m taking Independent Study on Research Methods for my Independent Research Project, Research Methods, and Contemporary Theory

What are the five things you can’t live without?

I need Peace of Mind, Music, Red Lipstick, Diary, and the Beach.

Ten years from now you will be?

I will be a tenured Professor of African Diaspora and the World at Spelman College, with one completed book and working on a Second, featured in magazines and TV and speaking on my research.

What is your favorite food?

I love anything fried: fried chicken fried fish and chips, fried seafood

What did you want to be when you were younger? And why?

I wanted to be a teacher because I always wanted to connect with younger generations and make an impact.

What organizations are you involved with on campus? (Organization name and position)

I am a Bonner Community Service Scholar, a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., UNCF Mellon Mays Fellow, Founder and President of HBCU’s for Peace + Love, Motivational Speaker for the Peace and Love School Tour, Women of Excellence (WEL) Scholar, and an ambassador for the Morehouse College Student Government Association.

What is your ideal superpower and why?

My ideal super power would be to see into people’s souls and get to know who they really are. I think so many in our generation have allowed material things to prevent us from being our most pure, genuine, and honest selves. I want to meet people where they are, at the most deepest inner core, and understand their hopes, dreams, and callings instead of the false sense of self that so many portray.

Is there anything you are afraid of?

I am afraid of not reaching every high goal that I set for myself. I am afraid of my own destiny, and afraid that I may end up alone in my journey of trying to save the world.

If you could be any animal which animal would you be and why?

I would be a lion so I could rule the wild.

What are your favorite flavors of ice cream?

I love Butter Pecan, Jamocha and Almond Fudge.

What would you say you love the most about Spelman? And why.

I love the sisterhood at Spelman. I love the family atmosphere here, the way everyone is so supportive and encouraging of each other. We are constantly uplifting and poured into by peers and faculty who we can relate to. I love that we are defying the odds every day. I love that so many people have such negative things to say about Black women, and Spelman produced women who are dedicated to proving stereotypes wrong. We are a dynamic group of women who have such a bright future as a unit.

What is your ultimate goal?

My ultimate goal in life is to be happy, and to make others happy, to spread Peace, Joy, and Love in all my life’s work. I hope to be a voice for the Black community through scholarship and service. I hope to become an advocate for change and become a role model for young black girls. I hope to change the world’s perception of Blackness and womanhood by exploring the numerous ways our stories can be validated and celebrated.

What has been your proudest moment at Spelman?

My proudest moment was receiving the UNCF Mellon Mays Fellowship. I had been known on campus as an advocate for social issues and somewhat of a Pageant Queen prior to this, however I never felt like I was recognized for my intellect. I was fighting within myself to feel capable of producing relevant and top notch work in my classroom. My 3.9 GPA was not enough to make me believe in my own scholarship. Receiving this prestigious scholarship allowed me to have more confidence in my work as a student and realize how much my personal life, academic life, and activist life were all connected.

What is your absolute favorite type of accessory?

I love all accessories, hand bags to shoes to rings to bracelets. I love taking a shirt and top that might look very casual and dressing it up with a hat and necklace to transform the entire look.

How do you plan to leave your Heel Print at Spelman?

I plan to leave my heel print on Spelman by being the best role model I can be to my younger Spelman sisters. In all that I do, I keep them in mind. I think about the impact that I can have on them, because I think about the impact that my older Spelman sisters had on me. I looked up to a select group of older students and dedicated my Spelman journey to following in their footsteps. I believe that through creating genuine relationships with each other and meeting each woman where she is, we can learn to truly support one another as sisters and friends.

Anything else about yourself you’d like to share?

I started an organization my freshman year called HBCUs 4 Peace + Love that is now organized at five different schools around the country. Our mission is to use artistic expression to combat violence and unite historically black college and university students for anti-violence activism. This project has been one of deep passion for me, as I myself am a victim survivor of sexual abuse. I believe that through telling our stories, we can truly change lives. For more information, please visit our website at weneedpeaceandlove.org and our Instagram page at hbcus4peaceandlove!

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"
Karys Belger is an English Major and Drama Minor at Spelman College. A Maryland native, Karys has had an interest in writing, journalism, and communications from a very young age. By the time she graduated high school, she was one of the editors of her high school year book. In addition to Her Campus, Karys writes her own blog 'Miss Perspective'. As a Bonner Scholar, Karys actively engages her campus and the surrounding area through community service initiatives. Additionally, she serves as the Social Secretary, Historian and Community Service liaison for the Miss Spelman Advisory Board and is the Community Outreach Chair the Spelman Chapter of the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance. Recently, she was inducted into Sigma Tau Delta National English Honor Society, Omega Xi Chapter. Her ultimate goal is to become a reporter and cover the hard-hitting news stories both at home and abroad.