Campus Celebrity: Miss AUC, Shaquika “Shay” Hughes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.

Name: Shaquika “Shay” Hughes

Major: English with a focus in pre-law

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Chicago, IL

What inspired you to serve as the Queen to the AUC? I wanted to leave a lasting impact on the AUC, as well as become actively involved in bringing students together through experience to better themselves and the community surrounding the AUC.

How did you prepare for the pageant? I asked for guidance and help from individuals who had competed in pageants, but I also practiced consistently and pushed myself to exceed expectations.

What were the categories for the Miss AUC pageant, and which category was your favorite? There were 6 categories: opening dance, introduction, talent, business wear, questions, and formal wear. The introduction was my favorite because it allowed me to showcase my skills but also my personality and creativity. 

What was your overall favorite part about the pageant? My overall favorite part about the pageant was being able to meet and form bonds with other students that I would not have even known if it wasn’t for the pageant.

What were your insecurities when thinking about competing, and how did you deal with them? I was afraid of being on the stage in front of hundreds of people showing a more vulnerable and personal side of myself that I do not reveal to everyone. I wasn’t sure how people would perceive me, but once I realized that I had to be sure of myself and be myself.

What is your favorite perk about being the AUC Queen? I get to be an ambassador for these great institutions that produce even greater individuals! It’s an amazing feeling!

Have you competed in any other pageants in the AUC?
I have not.

Was there a specific quote, poem or book that motivated you through your pageant? Yes, Psalm 62:7! Every time I wanted to give up this scripture reminded me of how strong and victorious I am despite any shortcomings I thought I had.

What advice do you have for Spelman and Clark young women who are interested in completing next year? Go for it! Start early with preparing, getting involved on the AUC campuses, and making yourself known to the current court. Do not let anybody and anything prevent you from doing something you really want to do!

Describe your winning feeling when your name was announced as the AUC Queen? I felt blessed and honored! All the doubts I had left and I knew I deserved that moment! All I could do was cry and smile.

Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"