AUC ranks among the finalists in seven “Best Of” categories for HBCU Digest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Spelman chapter.
Atlanta, GA – AUC institutions ranks among the finalists in eight “Best Of” categories sponsored by the HBCU Digest annual awards ceremony. The HBCU Digest is a blog and news resource providing news synopsis, links and commentary on stories about America’s 106 historically black colleges and universities. Each year it sponsors the HBCU Awards event to honor, acknowledge and celebrate achievements at historically black colleges and universities throughout the country.

Crowning winners in the fields of leadership, arts, athletics, research, and community engagement, the HBCU Awards is the first and only event to recognize the influence and impact of HBCUs on American culture. The HBCU Awards ceremony will be held July 10 during the HBCU National Media Summit, which is July 9-11 at Hampton University in Virginia. 

From a pool of 430 nominations, Spelman was selected as a finalist in the following areas: Alumna of the Year, Rosalind Brewer; Female Student of the Year, Danyelle R. Carter; Female Faculty Member of the Year, Beverly Guy-Sheftall. Morehouse was selected as a finalist in the following areas: Best Student Newspaper, The Maroon Tiger; Alumnus of the Year, Adriel Hilton. Clark Atlanta was selected as a finalist in the following categories: Best Social Work Program; Male Student of the Year; Willis Cooks. Click here to see other finalists and categories.

Proceeds from the awards ceremony benefit the Center for HBCU Media Advocacy (CHMA), a nonprofit organization that seeks to promote the mission, culture and development of America’s historically black colleges and universities through new media exposure, training and education. There is still time to register for the 2015 Summit. Click on the link to register and for more details and registration. 
Endia Hayes is a junior, Sociology and Anthropology major at the illustrious Spelman College. An aspiring college professor with hopes on earning her PH.D. in Sociology, Endia is a scholar activist and UNCF Mellon Mays Fellow who believes that through education anyone can change the world. If you see or know of an issue, take a stand because the world will continue to turn with or without your impact. She loves all types of music, however, she is convinced Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong are the best duo of all time. Les Miserables is the absolute BEST musical and no one can convince her otherwise.I am not longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept ~ Angela Davis
Danyelle Carter has always been excited about building beneficial relationships, sharing stories and managing her best self. She is an aspiring publicist majoring in Comparative Women's Studies at her dream school, the illustrious Spelman College in Atlanta, GA. She chose to continue her education at Spelman after graduating summa cum laude from Miami Dade College with a joint associate degree in Mass Communications and Journalism. Currently a junior at Spelman, Danyelle hopes to bring contemporary perspectives to commercial appeal by pursuing entrepreneurship of owning her own firm. If you ask her what her aspirations are, her eyes would light up, her smile would widen and she would squeal: "to be the Communicator-in-Chief of my own PR/Social Interaction agency!"