Why You Should Use Career Services

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Career decisions are very important to consider BEFORE one applies for graduation. Most post graduate opportunities require extra efforts outside of the noted curriculum requirements. How do we decide what to do next, and how do we go about it? Sometimes it can be overwhelming.

What many students don’t know is that the college or university they attend offers many resources to help narrow the many options and demands of post graduate stipulations. For instance, USM has an entire department devoted to helping students make career decisions: Career Services. Here are three ways that Career Services can help you.

1. It keeps you in the know.

The career services department notifies students about available job openings and upcoming internships. The website has a list of available positions that’s updated regularly, including on- and off-campus part time and full time college jobs. Also, it provides information on what’s available in the job market with particular majors.

2. The people working there really care.

Career Services has personnel dedicated to helping you make the best informed decisions that actually fit you! The professionals in the department can help you figure out exactly what you want to be when you grow up. The website has complete personality profiles that match you to jobs and careers based on your answers.

3. They have loads of great advice.

The office has tons of books that range from how to conduct and dress for an interview to how cover letters and personal statements are written. You can also schedule a mock interview or a resume review session to help you prepare for the big day.

4. You don’t have to be a student.

Even students that aren’t enrolled at the university can benefit from the resources offered by career services. So, luckily non- students have the same materials students do.What’s really cool about the site is it gives references to other websites that are just as helpful and effective.

So, don’t panic. You’re not alone in your search for your dream job. It’s hard for everyone. However, in most cases, you don’t even have to figure out your interests by yourself! Go for it! Don’t let deadlines and requirements intimidate you. Your dream job needs YOU! 

Photo Credit: Steve Wilson and Flazingo Photos via Flickr.

Hello. I'm a student at The University of Southern Mississippi majoring in child and family studies. I hope to become a licensed marriage and family therapist and along the way conduct some freelance photography. I hope you enjoy my insights!