T-Shirt Tuesday: What’s All the Rage?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

“IT’S T-SHIRT TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!” It never fails. You see the excitement (or obnoxiousness) cloud your Facebook news feed from someone every week with  overly excessive exclamation points. Some people wonder what the big deal is. It’s Tuesday, and you’re wearing a t-shirt? Hooray? Well if you’ve never spent a few nights in Hattiesburg, or you’re just that delusional about the nightlife, allow me to paint you a picture of what the “rage” is all about.

It’s super comfortable and casual!

It’s not called “T-Shirt Tuesday” for the hell of it! This is the one time when it’s totally acceptable to wear your big t-shirts and favorite pair of Norts (Nike Shorts) into a bar without running the risk of being judged. After all, there are 100+ sorority girls dressed just like you! I like to be comfortable when I party, and I’d rather be decked out in my “sorostitute” gear than run the risk of ruining a new outfit from Forever 21.

It’s convenient.

By convenient, I mean you can literally walk there! The Frat House bar (not an actual fraternity house) is right across the street from campus. Don’t think you’ll be able to drive by the night’s end? The Frat House provides a shuttle bus that can take you back to campus. Not to mention, if you won’t to get the last bit of partying out of you, the bus ride home allows you the time to do it. Who says the party stops after “closing time?”

It’s a great way to relieve stress.

If you’re like me, you just want to catch some sort of break after a long day of classes and meetings. Why not release some of that stress and cut loose at the Frat? The atmosphere of the place makes you want to dance as soon as you step into the door, especially if they blast the “Wop” or the “Wobble”. For me, T-Shirt Tuesday is an personal escape from all the repetitiveness of school and work. You only experience college once right?

It’s an easy way to find what you need: FUN!

If you’re looking to party, this is probably the easiest way to find something for you and your friends to do during the week. It is non-stop raging and dancing for 3 to 4 hours: wobbling one minute and wildin’ out to dubstep the next! There’s no cover, and on a good night, there is  anywhere from 100 to almost 400 people packed in, on, and around the dance floor. Everyone’s there for the same reason: to have a great time!

If you’ve been to T-Shirt Tuesday, you know that it is not something you can really explain in words. It is an experience that you have to live yourself! What if you’ve never been to T-Shirt Tuesday? Try it. Go once. Have fun and dance like no one is watching. I know I do! 

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com