Pushing Forward: The Mount Rushmores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

The Mount Rushmores have been kicking butt and taking names since early 2011.  Members include Jeremiah Stricklin (Lead Vocals/Acoustic), Josh Stricklin (Bass), Charley Tynes (Keys/Guitar), Jim Beard (Drums) and Ethan Manning (Lead Guitar). The Hattiesburg based group is ready to push forward with their success and continue to grow as musicians and as a band. 

According to the groups Facebook Fan page, they’re in competition with many other bands to play in one of  the world’s largest music festivals, Bonnaroo. They’re encouraging fans and the community to vote  for them once a day up until April 16, 2012. 

In November 2011, The Mount Rushmores had an EP-release show at The Bottling Company downtown.  Their EP, titled “Who You Hope To Be,” has a central theme of just that: who you hope to be.  The cover of the EP features a boy named Eddie dressed as a tiger holding balloons.  On the back you see an actual tiger because this is who Eddie hopes to be.  The “About Me” section on the band’s Facebook states, “The EP has a very positive, uplifting vibe. “Who You Hope To Be” is not just a collection of songs, but a tapestry of characters from every walk of life: struggling to find love, overcoming adversity and working to make names for ourselves in this wild world.  We invite our listeners to find their own Eddie and become who they hope to be. This is who we are and what we stand for.”

“The Saint,” arguably their most popular song, has a music video that can be found on YouTube.  It revisits Eddie and his story giving a perfect example of what “Who You Hope To Be” is all about.  Another song, titled Rodney Jackson, is about a man at lead singer Jeremiah’s church who suffers from a terminal illness.  Despite his tragic conditions, he is still hopeful and talks about “going home.”  Ethan Manning, lead guitarist, states, “It’s about believing in yourself and being so much more than you already are.”  Though The Mount Rushmores are ready to record their new LP, they are still pushing the EP because of the message it sends to their audience. 

[pagebreak]

Speaking of their audience, The Mount Rushmores like to have audience interaction.  At their shows they love when the audience dances, sings or just finds their “inner Eddie.”  The Mount Rushmores say that they always want to deliver, and they really enjoy audience participation in their high-energy set.   Jeremiah says he would compare The Mount Rushmores to Coldplay and Mumford and Sons.  The solid harmonies and variety of instruments definitely give off that vibe.  He adds, “Mute Math, They Might Be Giants and Death Cab for Cutie play their part in the final process, too.”  Ethan was hesitant to give a genre, but he said, “Broadly, I’d say we are indie rock/alternative.”

When asked where they see the band in the future, Jeremiah responded, “Touring nationally and internationally.  This is what we want our lives to be.  The bigger the dream, the better.” Ethan Manning added, “Touring and funding the LP.”  The theme of the LP revolves around the important characters in life that get you through difficult times.  Jeremiah states, “Each character plays a different role to get your own heart back in order.  Those people are priceless.”  Ethan adds, “We are treating every song like a single; there will be a lot of dynamics.  This is going to be huge.”  Their LP is scheduled to be released around November 2012.

The Mount Rushmores have approximately four shows a month, and they practice twice a week.  “This is serious for us.  I’ve stirred at night thinking of possibilities for the band.  Frisbee is a hobby.  The Rushmores is a passion,” said Jeremiah Stricklin.  Recently, they were nominated for Best New Artist for the 2012 Sounds That Matter Music Awards, and they won!

The Mount Rushmores have a lot of merchandise for sale and quite a few shows coming up in the next few months.  You can check out the bands Facebook page to view their upcoming shows and learn more about the band.  You can also visit their Bandcamp, Reverbnation , Gigmaven, and you can follow them on Twitter .  If you would like to contact them for futher information, you can e-mail them at themountrushmoresband@gmail.com.

Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com