Malcolm Phillips: The Actor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

Name: Malcolm J. Phillips
School: University of Southern Mississippi
Year: ’15
Major: Pre-Theater

Freshman, Malcolm Phillips, developed a passion for acting at a very young age. As a youngster, he often landed roles in church and community plays. At the age of 13, Phillips landed a role in an independent film. A year later he was casted in the 2008 film, The Longshots, staring Ice Cube and Keke Palmer. Philips was casted as a young football player. 

How did you land the role in your last film, The Longshots?
I don’t know really. I just sort of auditioned and got it! It was awesome no doubt, actually working on the career I planned to do at 14.

Did you converse with Ice Cube?
I did a few times, very briefly though. I think we talked about shoes and how you should get them if you like them, not because everyone else is wearing them.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I’ll hopefully be writing, producing and staring in my own films. I have a few ideas floating around in my head right now. I just just want to inspire people. You know?

What made you decide to attend Southern Miss?
The Theater program was well known. Acting is my dream job after all.

What do you do in your spare time?
I do random stuff, if not homework, just trying to keep from being bored. Guitar, Frisbee, reading and working out is the usual stuff.

What is something interesting about you?
Um, I have an admiration for owls. Don’t ask me why, I just think they are cool..intriguing even.

The both talented and creative freshman actor has big dreams. He will definitely be on the big screen again soon. Keep your eyes open for this campus celebrity and rising star.
Crystal Garner

Southern Miss

Crystal Garner is a sophomore at the University of Southern Mississippi studying Broadcast Journalism and Computer Science. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for the Southern Miss Chapter of HerCampus.com, the on-air host of Southern Miss Today at WUSM 88.5, a Campus Editor at Uloop.com, a former English TV/Africa production intern at Voice of America, and an ambassor for Freshmansupport.com. She enjoys writing, reporting, and traveling. Her work has been publish by USA TODAY, Huffington Post, Uloop.com, and local newspapers in her hometown of Meridian, Miss. She hopes to one day serve as an international correspondent.  Keep up with her at Shesagarner.com