The Harlem Shake: How To Go Viral Collegiette-Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Southern Miss chapter.

By now, you’ve probably heard of or seen this crazy new trend known as the Harlem Shake. It has gone viral over the past few weeks due to its massive popularity on various social media networks. Since the first Harlem Shake video was uploaded to YouTube in January, people have gone crazy uploading their own versions of the dance trend.

From all the Harlem Shake videos I’ve seen, at least three things have stood out in the most viewed videos: celebrity cameos, crazy themes and unique locations. So if you’re looking to make an original Harlem Shake video, but don’t have Beyonce or Lady Gaga on speed dial, here are my tips on how to make your Harlem Shake video stand out from the rest.

Develop a theme. Many Harlem Shake videos are done spontaneously, but the most successful videos are those that are planned ahead. Developing a theme for the video makes it even funnier because viewers generally won’t know what to expect when the beat drops.

My suggestions: Try a video game or cartoon character theme. If that seems like too much work, try something related to your sorority, university sports team, or even your favorite films or hobbies.

Pick a location. Remember the Harlem Shake video that was done on a plane? Or even recently when members of the Miami Heat danced around in their locker room? Those videos were undeniably original because they were done in unique locations.

Now, I’m not saying to risk the FAA’s wrath by filming your video 10,000 feet in the air, but selecting an uncommon location as a backdrop will make your video’s view count skyrocket.

My suggestions: Plan it during one of your sorority’s date parties. Try it in your university’s cafeteria. You could always do it flashmob style in your university’s library or student union whereas only people in the know are aware that it’s going to happen.

Include a memorable moment. In the Southern Miss Athletics Harlem Shake video, school mascot Seymour D’Campus started off the video with his classic dance moves which then segued into men’s basketball coach Donnie Tyndall proclaiming, “Never gonna happen.” At the end, Tyndall is seen dancing around with his entire team, which is hilarious if you’ve ever met or talked with him.

Including important people or funny moments in your Harlem Shake video will make people remember your performance. Even if they don’t remember the title, they can always search for it on Google.

My suggestions: Try to get a few notable professors involved or maybe even the dean at your university. It works best if no one would expect that person to show up in a dance video. Even your grandma or furry friend would work.

Photo Credit: fasttocreate.com

monicia.warner

Southern Miss

Monicia is a senior news-editorial journalism major at Southern Miss. She is a member of the Transfer Leadership Board, Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Association and National Association of Black Journalists. She is also a contributing writer for Uloop News. After college, she hopes to intern with a major newspaper and/or continue to grad school. Her interests include social media, period dramas and Ellie Goulding. SMTTT!